Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you be proud of this shot? >

Would you be proud of this shot?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you be proud of this shot?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Would you be proud of this shot?

You said slightly quartering. I didnt know you meant quaterting by like an inch.
Imagine I'm 23' up and at the center of a clock face. The deer was perfectly broadside.....but would have been at about the 1:30 position on the clock face at 33yds.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I apologize for the photo in the back of the truck.

Shot was a 33 yd shot on this buck that was slightly quartering away. Complete pass-thru......40-50 yd recovery.

When assessing the shot....imagine where the front leg would be when the buck was standing. I'll give the results of the autopsy, later.

So.....would you be proud of this shot? Would you consider this "optimal"?YES If not.....what IS "optimal"?

Also.....note that this is the entrance hole.
I don't think you could be any better than that, if you aimed for the OFF side leg, that's perfect, unless I'm missing something.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You said he only went 40-50 yards, so it looks like a good shot to me. It may be a bit far back but not bad.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Host of Hosts

a little far back
Old 03-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

thatll put em down for sure!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

a little far back
I'm interested.......what would be the result of this...if this WERE true? What would have been the results of the autopsy?

I'll tell you what WAS hit after you answer. What do you WANT to hit?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

if entrance I say right on the money.
Yes, TeeJay....this is the entrance.

And Greg....your sketch doesn't show the ENTIRE makeup of a deer's shoulder......only the skeletal structure.There's more to the shoulder than that.....and your sketch is misleading to new hunters. There's a lot of cartilage in the plate that surrounds the shoulder socket that can be avoided on an optimal shot. But you know that.
Misleading!!?? It was taken off of a hunter education web site! I studied anatomy for 3 years in college, the only plate in the shoulder is the shoulderblade, which is shown.

Btw, cartilage don't mean anything to a broadhead when it comes to deer.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would be interesting to know exactly how much it was 'slightly quartering'....

If it was what I consider slightly quartering towards, it looks like a good shot to me (an inch or so to the right would have been a touch better)... I know it's tempting to try and tuck that arrow right behind the leg for the quick heart shot kill... But I actually prefer shooting for the lungs (bigger target) over the heart...
Old 03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Btw, cartilage don't mean anything to a broadhead when it comes to deer.
That don't mean you ought to aim for it.........which is exactly what I'd have been doing if I'd placed my arrow where your green dot is.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

That shot is a solid shot. I would want the arrow placed there if that was the quartering too side. The angle of the deer looks a little deceiving. To drill double lung, I would think that the arrow would need to hit just a tad higer. Depending on the angle of the exit hole, it would be quite possible that the heart got hit. As far as double lung vs heart shot, I prefer the double lung, the larger animals 1,000 lbs and up seem to drop much faster with a lung hit even though both shots spell impending doom!!!

Quick Reply: Would you be proud of this shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.