Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you take this shot? >

Would you take this shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you take this shot?

Old 03-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you take this shot?

There are options. Is that considered Fair Chase? I think I would go another route, but that's me.

Dan
Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM

No question and I don't care how big or small they are. Either you shoot them and they die relatively quickly or you leave them and they die a long, agonizing death at the hands of starvation or coyotes. I'd hate to be the one trying to saw them apart if one was still kicking; so if it was a one buck area I'd call a buddy to shoot the other (I'd even take the smaller one). Fair chase or not, it's just the right/humane thing to do.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with GMMAT....Take them both out and save a lot of grief for you and the animals! The bureaucrats can stand in line and ******* my ****** if they don't like it!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Dominant Buck

In my scenario (the way I answered) there is no legal dilemma. I live in a 2 buck state....and we can legally take 2 in one day.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

No question and I don't care how big or small they are. Either you shoot them and they die relatively quickly or you leave them and they die a long, agonizing death at the hands of starvation or coyotes. I'd hate to be the one trying to saw them apart if one was still kicking; so if it was a one buck area I'd call a buddy to shoot the other (I'd even take the smaller one). It's just the right thing to do.
Good point on bringing another person into the situation for the second buck. I suppose getting up to the other one would be risky, but I assume the other would tire eventually (however, I think I read a story a while back about a buck that was found dead that had been interlocked with another one that had died first and it drug the dead one with it for quite some time before succumbing to it, so it may be a long wait). There are other options (game warden to tranq them and split them up as well). Not trying to come off as a anti or anything and I can't even say what exactly I would do in those shoes, it's just that there are other options other than shoot both, or don't shoot both.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

THink about this.... think if you could keep both bucks? What a mount that would make!!! think of the price too.[&:]

P.S. I know its not about the horns, its about the deer, im just saying.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

but I assume the other would tire eventually (however, I think I read a story a while back about a buck that was found dead that had been interlocked with another one that had died first and it drug the dead one with it for quite some time before succumbing to it, so it may be a long wait).
Chances are that the second buck would die of the stress if it reached that point of exhaustion. It's a very real problem in tranq'ing them as well, the cardiac stress kills them later.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I live, I'm only allowed one buck per day, and a max limit of three bucks per season. I think If I saw them, I'd probably shoot one, and call a friend to shoot the other one. The chances of this happening where I huntare very rare...
Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being they were locked and not coming apart obviously. I would shoot the bigger one. I would then attempt to cut the antlers on the other deer free if he was still alive when I came back with a saw. Hel I might get killed by the other one trying to saw his horns off. Thats just a bad deal there all together. Its one of those deals where I can honestly say I hope I never see but then again would be neat to see if they would come unlocked after the shot!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, the chances of that happening around my neck of the woods is slim too. It's awful hard to get two spike bucks locked up!

Quick Reply: Would you take this shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.