HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question for "mature buck" advocates (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/235799-question-mature-buck-advocates.html)

BobCo19-65 03-05-2008 12:52 PM

RE: Question for "mature buck" advocates

I've killed deer with a recurve and plan on doing it more some day. Just don't know when. Besides, all of my mature buck kills have been between 6 and 21 yards. The real challenge is getting close to them (hunting). I do so by learning about them and their habits. I don't think that by me switching to a recurve would have that much of an effect on me killing a mature buck. I like to get real close to them.

That's pretty much what I thought.
But I liked the training wheel anaolgy just the same.:)

GR8atta2d 03-05-2008 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Gus:

I think you're saying what a lot of people think.....but won't say.;)
Jeff clarify what it is he is saying..or how you interpret it.

davidmil 03-05-2008 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: davidmil

You know, it's real easy to pass on a bunch of bucks when you have a lot of deer. When you can go out and expect to see deer usually every hunt, it's not real hard to say I'll wait for something bigger. I spent the summer glassing every deer within a 3 mile radius of my house. I saw a big 8, and a 6 and a spike repeatedly during the summer and Sept. That was it. During deer season I saw 1 spike and he wasn't the one I watched all summer. Realize, the big 8 and 6 were always on land adjacent to the land I can hunt. The 8 was killed on that same land. For the entire bow season I saw I guess maybe 6 deer from a tree and 3 during the muzzleloader season. I know of one that was poached in my woods with a rifle. So, tell me I'm suppose to pass a basket rack 6 up here when he walks by at 20 yards. Last year I saw and 8 and a spike. I shot the 8 with the bow. There's lots of pressure from hunters, night hunter and plain old outlaws all year. It's pretty tough to be a trophy hunter in such places. In Maryland I passed on deer all the time with no regrets because it was easy and the population per mile was about 40 more deer. I'd typically see hundreds in the year. I'm looking for a new woods. The last time I was in Ohio I passed on 4 bucks one evening that would have been prizes here.
Nobody's telling you what to do.

IF you want to be a trophy hunter, Rule #1 - Hunt where they live.
But that's easier said than done if you want to spend some time in the woods. I'm not talking of taking off and traveling to another state. I'm talking about walking out the door in your home territory and go hunting. Land access is always a problem. Time is a problem. But most of all, deer populations are a problem along with mismanagement by DNR and legislatures. Place genetics and all that in the same pile and everyone is not fortunate to have a 150-175 inch deer around. It's a fact of life. I'm not willing to pay some guy in Illinois, Kansas, Iowa or whereever,$3,500 to hunt for a week so I can say, I'm a Trophy hunter. Everyone doesn't have access to land where big bucks roam. I have in the past in other states but not now so I adjust accordingly. I'm not worried about what I'll have to shoot 10 years from now. I'm 64 years old. How many years do I have left? It's easy to say hunt where they are.... but it's not that simple is it really for MOST people. Most people have families, time restraints, money restraints, and quite frankly other priorities they put first. They still should have a right to hunt and kill what they want within the laws without someone(especially QDM tools like Morris) telling them they're a lesser person if they kill a basketrack.

GregH 03-05-2008 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

Gus...

Is it easier to kill a lot of deer ......if you hunt where a lot of deer live?

I can tell you the answer to that question is "YES".

So....wouldn't it stand to reason .......if there were more mature deer (insert name of location, here)......that they would be easier to kill?

Takes NOTHING away from...nor does it even take into account a hunter's prowess. It's simple math.
Having success hunting whitetails is determined a lot by geography and willingness to wait it out and perhaps eating tag soup. I know that.

My question was more toward the "challenge" aspect that so many seak of while championing the the idea of not shooting young bucks.

If the woods are littered with 4.5 year old deer would it be that difficult to kill one? I see a lot of the same people who are "trophy" hunters also advocate that you "let em go so they can grow". Seems like they are after the horns more than the challenge........

4 1/2 year old and older bucks, by their very nature are more challenging to hunt. It's like hunting a different species.

If the woods were "littered with them I would think that it would be somewhat easier to kill one, but I can't say for sure. I have never been in woods littered with mature bucks. Has anyone?

GR8atta2d 03-05-2008 12:57 PM

As a side question kinda off topic. GregH what bow do you shoot? No reason for asking other than curiosity. I never remember you mentioning much about your equipment. How bout a run-down Bow..sight..etc.

Again no agenda just pure curiosity.

GregH 03-05-2008 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I've killed deer with a recurve and plan on doing it more some day. Just don't know when. Besides, all of my mature buck kills have been between 6 and 21 yards. The real challenge is getting close to them (hunting). I do so by learning about them and their habits. I don't think that by me switching to a recurve would have that much of an effect on me killing a mature buck. I like to get real close to them.

That was my "winder-upper"!!! [:-];):D

Badger_Girl93 03-05-2008 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

That was my "winder-upper"!!! [:-];):D
Nice one Greg! Are you Scottish by chance?

GregH 03-05-2008 01:04 PM

You know, it's real easy to pass on a bunch of bucks when you have a lot of deer. When you can go out and expect to see deer usually every hunt, it's not real hard to say I'll wait for something bigger. I spent the summer glassing every deer within a 3 mile radius of my house. I saw a big 8, and a 6 and a spike repeatedly during the summer and Sept. That was it. During deer season I saw 1 spike and he wasn't the one I watched all summer. Realize, the big 8 and 6 were always on land adjacent to the land I can hunt. The 8 was killed on that same land. For the entire bow season I saw I guess maybe 6 deer from a tree and 3 during the muzzleloader season. I know of one that was poached in my woods with a rifle. So, tell me I'm suppose to pass a basket rack 6 up here when he walks by at 20 yards. Last year I saw and 8 and a spike. I shot the 8 with the bow. There's lots of pressure from hunters, night hunter and plain old outlaws all year. It's pretty tough to be a trophy hunter in such places. In Maryland I passed on deer all the time with no regrets because it was easy and the population per mile was about 40 more deer. I'd typically see hundreds in the year. I'm looking for a new woods. The last time I was in Ohio I passed on 4 bucks one evening that would have been prizes here.
Nobody's telling you what to do.

IF you want to be a trophy hunter, Rule #1 - Hunt where they live.
But that's easier said than done if you want to spend some time in the woods. I'm not talking of taking off and traveling to another state. I'm talking about walking out the door in your home territory and go hunting. Land access is always a problem. Time is a problem. But most of all, deer populations are a problem along with mismanagement by DNR and legislatures. Place genetics and all that in the same pile and everyone is not fortunate to have a 150-175 inch deer around. It's a fact of life. I'm not willing to pay some guy in Illinois, Kansas, Iowa or whereever,$3,500 to hunt for a week so I can say, I'm a Trophy hunter. Everyone doesn't have access to land where big bucks roam. I have in the past in other states but not now so I adjust accordingly. I'm not worried about what I'll have to shoot 10 years from now. I'm 64 years old. How many years do I have left? It's easy to say hunt where they are.... but it's not that simple is it really for MOST people. Most people have families, time restraints, money restraints, and quite frankly other priorities they put first. They still should have a right to hunt and kill what they want within the laws without someone(especially QDM tools like Morris) telling them they're a lesser person if they kill a basketrack.
I agree with everything you have said, trophy hunting is easier for some people than others. It depends on how important it is to you and what you are willing or not willing to do. Some people move to different states to accomplish their goal ( I don't have to do that ). There is always a consensus that you have to make and/or a comprimise. If you are forced to hunt in an area devoid of trophy bucks, you could strive to kill bucks that are the best in your area. These would be considered trophy bucks in my mind. Just one way of looking at it.

magicman54494 03-05-2008 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

My feelings on antler restrictions: It is great idea!!!! It might take a year or two but after that we will havejust as many legal bucks as before and they will be bigger. Everyone wins!When a "meat" hunter kills a bigger buck he gets more meat.
The logic is a little messed up. Wars have typically excluded women because they are what is needed to replenish the population, wasn't a macho thing. If people shoot doe's the result will be less deer in the future. A lot of doe's equals a lot less deer. I've never did the math but I'd say each doe equals tens of deer if you count theiroff springs off spring. Could even be in the hundreds.3 small bucks equals 3 small bucks. If I was a meat hunter and could add I wouldn't be shooting my breed stock until it's time to thin them out.

In Ohio's history the population of game decreased quickly and the people tried to do some thing about it. One of the biggest problems in reversing the trend was that the natives kept killing doe's by calling as a distressed fawn in the spring. They were strictly warned to stop the practise.
Something is messed up here,but I think it's your ability to read. I never said anything about shooting does!!! And just to play along with your logic. I think that if you look at deer densities across the mid west it is apparent that there is an overabundance of deer. Here in Wis. we are doing a huge amount of heard control including earn a buck and we still have a hard time keeping things in check. Also I believe the buck doe ratio of fawns born is about 50/50 so if your heard ratio isn't 50/50 then you are fighting against mother nature herself. My point is that I believe that we can manage our heards for both quantity and quality. But to do this it might take a few years of sacrifice. In todays world of "I want it right now" maybe thats too much to ask.

HuntinGUS 03-05-2008 01:07 PM

4 1/2 year old and older bucks, by their very nature are more challenging to hunt. It's like hunting a different species.

If the woods were "littered with them I would think that it would be somewhat easier to kill one, but I can't say for sure. I have never been in woods littered with mature bucks. Has anyone?

Don't get me wrong Greg. I also think that a mature whitetail is a different animal, but I also think that a large part of the challenge is because they are not plentiful in the woods. The are sparse for the most part.

I think it's contradictory to preach "let emgo so they can grow" while at the same time saying how big of a challenge it is to kill a "mature" whitetail.Is it the challenge or the horns that one is after?

If it were the challenge, then I can't understand the "let em grow so they can grow" argument. If it's the Horns, then I don't know why those people just don'tgo to a fenced ranch.

GregH 03-05-2008 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

As a side question kinda off topic. GregH what bow do you shoot? No reason for asking other than curiosity. I never remember you mentioning much about your equipment. How bout a run-down Bow..sight..etc.

I've talked about this before........ I shot for HCA for 7 years and still own 4 of them. My #1 hunting bow is a 1997 HCA Max Force, 66 lbs. It shoots 2413 XX78s with 85 gr Wasp SST Hammers @ 275 fps. 30" DL. Archers Choice F.O. 4-pin sight. Golden Premier prong rest and I use a Winns-Freeflight release (throw back from my 84# days). I absolutely love this bow! ;)

GR8atta2d 03-05-2008 01:13 PM

If you are forced to hunt in an area devoid of trophy bucks, you could strive to kill bucks that are the best in your area. These would be considered trophy bucks in my mind. Just one way of looking at it
Exactly, I will confess to, in the past, holding out for a buck of porportions that were unrealistic for the area I was in. The couple of good bucks I past up that season still make me shake my head. I can still see thebig 8 point that walked directly below me and I never reached for the bow.

Shooting baskets ain't my problem but sometimes pulling the trigger on a good on is. The trials and tribulations of a one tag State.

GregH 03-05-2008 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

Don't get me wrong Greg. I also think that a mature whitetail is a different animal, but I also think that a large part of the challenge is because they are not plentiful in the woods. The are sparse for the most part.

I think it's contradictory to preach "let emgo so they can grow" while at the same time saying how big of a challenge it is to kill a "mature" whitetail.Is it the challenge or the horns that one is after?

If it were the challenge, then I can't understand the "let em grow so they can grow" argument. If it's the Horns, then I don't know why those people just don'tgo to a fenced ranch.
Sure you do........ If I just wanted the horns, I'd go to a petting zoo.

1) Wild animals are more challenging than tame ones.

2) Old animals are more challenging than young ones.

3) Old animals have bigger horns than young ones (for the most part).

GR8atta2d 03-05-2008 01:17 PM

I've talked about this before........ I shot for HCA for 7 years and still own 4 of them. My #1 hunting bow is a 1997 HCA Max Force, 66 lbs. It shoots 2413 XX78s with 85 gr Wasp SST Hammers @ 275 fps. 30" DL. Archers Choice F.O. 4-pin sight. Golden Premier prong rest and I use a Winns-Freeflight release (throw back from my 84# days). I absolutely love this bow! ;)
Thanks..like I said just curious. It's actually cool to see someone who doesn't have every new gadget and still gets it done, with a favorite older model bow.

GR8atta2d 03-05-2008 01:20 PM

See Gus thats where you lost me..it's the challenge of taking a buck with a "trophy" set of horns.

The horns (antlers for purists) mean nothing alone

and a challenge without a prize that you desire, is a challenge to whom?

chris2216 03-05-2008 01:24 PM

I don't judge another bowhunters harvest. I know that any, every and all deer harvested with archery equipment is a trophy.I shoot a doe for the freezer and then go after a big one.I zero in on a big one and hunt him. sometimes I get him sometimes I don't. I don't cry if I don't get him. I think that in the world we live in it is not important what size of deer you hunt, it just is important that you do hunt and pass it on. I will say I think it is very important to harvest a doe or two. We all must do our part to help manage the herd.

tina.havel 03-05-2008 01:29 PM

HEY POPS.. if you are on respond to this!!!! IIGHT HOMES!!!

magicman54494 03-05-2008 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: tina.havel

What you doing here?

GR8atta2d 03-05-2008 01:38 PM

What you doing here?
Hey don't let us interupt your little family reunion.. ;):D

tina.havel 03-05-2008 01:40 PM

What r YOU doin here?? just kidding im in the computer lab at school.

magicman54494 03-05-2008 01:47 PM

What you doing here?
Hey don't let us interupt your little family reunion.. ;):D
I left her in the woods this last fall. She musta found her way out!

HuntinGUS 03-05-2008 01:52 PM

See Gus thats where you lost me..it's the challenge of taking a buck with a "trophy" set of horns.

The horns (antlers for purists) mean nothing alone

and a challenge without a prize that you desire, is a challenge to whom?
That's what I am trying to get at GR8. What's all the talk about "letting them go so they can grow" if it's about the challenge. If everyone practiced this, would killing a 4.5 year old still bea challenge? Sure the big horns come with the maturity......most of the time, but if there were a plethora of mature deer "with big horns" how would the challenge thing work then?

If the challenge is "easier" is the prize as desirable?

It seems to me that if it were all about the challenge of killing a mature whitetails then wewould not have many advocating to let em go to make it easier to do. Are you not just wanting to stack the odds in your favorto win the prize?

GregH 03-05-2008 01:52 PM

Thanks..like I said just curious. It's actually cool to see someone who doesn't have every new gadget and still gets it done, with a favorite older model bow.
You know, I've been wanting a new bow for a couple of years now, but I just can't find one that feels as good or as smooth as what I currently have. Speed is not an issue for me as I have a fairly long DL. I prefer tohunt with 4 fixed pins and don't want them sitting right on top of each other. I like 275 with fixed BHs. One of these days I'llget one!

JoeRE 03-05-2008 01:55 PM

It's actually cool to see someone who doesn't have every new gadget and still gets it done, with a favorite older model bow.
Thats what happened to the native americans.Their equipment was out of date (they just never bought all those gadgets) so they all starved to death[8D]. Sorry, just thought your point of veiw was interesting. All the best hunters (in this case, best as in greatest collection in thier trophy room) I have known spend very little money every year on accessories (but much more on hunting).

As for the debate on 'trophy' some very good points have been made. I think everyone is right, but the multiple points of veiw just cannot allow everyone to agree. Above, all...have FUN. if you can do that and abide by game laws, I would be proud to call you a fellow bowhunter.

excalibur43 03-05-2008 02:01 PM

No, I would not rather shoot a lesser buck, I would shoot a doe first. I am a trophy hunter first, and a meat hunter second. I have the chance almost every time I am in the stand to shoot a buck. I usually have 3 or 4 young bucks travel by me during the course of 1 hunt. I prefer to pass them and let them have a chance to grow into mature bucks. I realize that someone else may not share that opinion, and may shoot one of those bucks that I passed, but that's the chanceI prefer totake.I would rather not shoot a buck for 2 or 3 years, until I see one that I think is worth taking, and fill the freezer with does.I don't knock anyone who isn't a trophy hunter though. If it makes you happy, then that's all that matters.

ICALL2MUCH 03-05-2008 02:08 PM

For the people who say "move to where they live" are completely missing the point of the post.

MATURE, means age. It does not mean antlers. AGE can be granted my letting little ones walk.

MOST of the great things in life take time. Do robbers shoot children? Or do they shoot the parents? It is not natural for humans to kill things that are young.

Obviously, deer densities are different all over the country, everyone knows that. Perception is reality. When you harvest does, and let the little ones walk, you fertilize your potential dream. If you would shoot a bigger buck instead of a small buck, why ever shoot a small buck? Does taste better, and again you are just making it harder to do what you actually want!

As has been said throughout this thread, to each his own!:)

mnbirddog 03-05-2008 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

Do robbers shoot children? Or do they shoot the parents? It is not natural for humans to kill things that are young.

WTF? I don't think its natural for the robber to shoot the parents either.[>:]

mnbirddog 03-05-2008 02:19 PM

As for the debate on 'trophy' some very good points have been made. I think everyone is right, but the multiple points of veiw just cannot allow everyone to agree. Above, all...have FUN. if you can do that and abide by game laws, I would be proud to call you a fellow bowhunter.

GregH 03-05-2008 02:21 PM

I hope this works.........

Good buck age structure:

6 1/2+ xxx
51/2 xxxx
41/2xxxxxxx
31/2 xxxxxxxxxx
21/2 xxxxxxxxxxx
1 1/2 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have hunted herds with an age structure almost like this. It makes fun and exciting to experience. This is what you get when you "let them go to let them grow".

Bad buck age structure:

4 1/2+ x
3 1/2 xx
2 1/2 xxxx
1 1/2 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have hunted herds like this as well.[&o] This is what you get when you "if it's brown it's down" hunt. Every season 80% or more of the bucks killed are 1 1/2. Pretty soon you don't have hardly any mature bucks. The ones you do have are super cautious, mostly nocturnal at the slightest hint of human presence. Not a very fun hunt if you expect to possibly get a glimpse of "old Mossy-Horns". I stopped hunting areas like this and searched out new areas that were better. If you were to let the little ones go or had antler restrictions in place you can see how you'd increase the number of older bucks.

GMMAT 03-05-2008 02:24 PM

4 1/2+ x
3 1/2 xx
2 1/2 xxxx

I have hunted herds like this as well.[&o] This is what you get when you "if it's brown it's down" hunt. Every season 80% or more of the bucks killed are 1 1/2. Pretty soon you don't have hardly any mature bucks. The ones you do have are super cautious, mostly nocturnal at the slightest hint of human presence. Not a very fun hunt if you expect to possibly get a glimpse of "old Mossy-Horns". I stopped hunting areas like this and searched out new areas that were better. If you were to let the little ones go or had antler restrictions in place you can see how you'd increase the number of older bucks.
Did you live here????:D

GregH 03-05-2008 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

For the people who say "move to where they live" are completely missing the point of the post.

MATURE, means age. It does not mean antlers. AGE can be granted my letting little ones walk.

MOST of the great things in life take time. Do robbers shoot children? Or do they shoot the parents? It is not natural for humans to kill things that are young.

Obviously, deer densities are different all over the country, everyone knows that. Perception is reality. When you harvest does, and let the little ones walk, you fertilize your potential dream. If you would shoot a bigger buck instead of a small buck, why ever shoot a small buck? Does taste better, and again you are just making it harder to do what you actually want!

As has been said throughout this thread, to each his own!:)
Not one person in this thread told anyone to move, someone else missed the point.

Second of all................. pretty weirdo analogy.

Other than that you're OK.;)

GregH 03-05-2008 02:29 PM

4 1/2+ x
3 1/2 xx
2 1/2 xxxx

Did you live here????:D
No, I do not live here. I hunted there more than half of my hunting career. This was "up North". To find better hunting spots I started hunting closer to home. Trial and error.;)

James Vee 03-05-2008 02:43 PM

Those pictures posted of all of the dinks lined up in that roomlook like awall of shame.

peakrut 03-05-2008 02:46 PM

I was in the same boat as Greg and it is still brown its down up in Northern, Wi. I now have plenty of spots closer to home for bowhunting and pretty much only Gun hunt up North.
The gun hunt is pretty much a family thing and the only time we all can get together and just let loose. We have 2 cabins and Thousands of county and Timber Company land at
our disposal. It's our Vacation.;)

early in 03-05-2008 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

.....just want to understand why some guys think the states should mandate hunters to only target bigger bucks I guess.
Generally, States that practice antler restrictions want to improve the age structure of the bucks in theirdeer herd. Young deer are much easier to kill than mature deer. That's a fact, not my opinion.;)So if youallow "any buck" to be killed, you'll end up with nothing but small bucks in your herd.When I started deerhunting I had the typical mind set of a beginner, I had to kill "a buck". After enough years, I've come to realize that I don't "need" tokill a buck every year.I guess this comes with age.:D:D

ICALL2MUCH 03-05-2008 02:48 PM

Greg,

I thought it was mentioned somewhere, my bad.
Weird analogy? Yeap. True analogy? Yeap.

Thanks for your granting on my "okness". Didn't know I needed it.:D;)

peakrut 03-05-2008 02:49 PM

You know you can sell that new gun of yours to me :)at a deep discount then go buy a new bow.[8D]

You know, I've been wanting a new bow for a couple of years now, but I just can't find one that feels as good or as smooth as what I currently have. Speed is not an issue for me as I have a fairly long DL. I prefer tohunt with 4 fixed pins and don't want them sitting right on top of each other. I like 275 with fixed BHs. One of these days I'llget one!

Schultzy 03-05-2008 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: James Vee

Those pictures posted of all of the dinks lined up in that roomlook like awall of shame.
And why is that?

rybohunter 03-05-2008 02:53 PM

I think another misconception is that those who say "let em grow" automatically want a mature buck behind every tree. Hardly the case, I think most just want a legitimate chance of seeing and having the opportunity to pursue mature bucks. In MANY, MANY places thier numbers are just so few. In places where there are huntable numbers, it is still far from a cake walktoactually get one.

GregH 03-05-2008 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: James Vee

Kind of harsh James. I have a wall full of those too. You need time to mature as a hunter if that's what you choose to do.