Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Devastated...

Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Devastated...

Your right David a phone call,come on, you liked hunting his land but didn't talk to him ,close friends? yea your outta there.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

In a regular rural area, this approach would work and I'd agree with you 100%. Where I live and hunt, the people dont even want to know you're there. It's kind of like "dont ask dont tell" mentality. Very PC, the people hate the deer in private, but pressed in public and they'll denounce hunting 'till their dying day. This particular piece of property is a big rental property for the owner. 7 or 8 rental cottages on about 10 acres, but surrounded by 50+ acres of un-developed land. The owner doesn't live there and I'm not great friends with him, just an acqaintance who gave me permission to hunt it 12 years ago. Never had a run in or a problem with anyone there, or other hunters because there arent any. The new people who bought the adjoining 50+ acres are well known developers and hunters in the county. They purchased the property 3 years ago and have not started building yet. My own personal thoughts on the situation are that they are feeding my guy false info so as to limit the competition for themselves. They are not the most ethical of hunters from what I have heard(gun shots in a bow only county during deer season = unethical in my world). I will do my best to smooth things over, take full responsibility for dealing with owners of next door property(of which I know a couple), offering whatever I have to offer as far as bribery, and whatever else might help situation.
ORIGINAL: davidmil

Once or twice a year contact witha land owner is NOT nearly enough. If you'd made a conserted effort to stay in touch(face to face) and just shot the breeze a little you would still be in. Now you have to prove you're a good guy and maybe you'll get back in. I suspect they're lining up to hunt the place themselves. If the neighbors are new they probably don't have a track record with the guy either. I wouldn't be leaving messages... I'd go knock on his door no matter how many times I had to do it to catch him at home. Simply ask him, who was it that traspassed? I'm sure they didn't give you my name. Offer to post the place and patrol it to keep out undesireables.If you get in your next stop is with the new neighbors to assure them it's not you. Make friends ... not waves. The last thing a landowner wants is to get in the middle of a squabble. Heck, maybe go see the new neighbors first to see who it was. If they don't have a name or answer.... your answer is they're making it up. Don't cause a stink but go see the landowner and go through the good will bit. If you get in go back and talk to the neighbors and tell them you're in and you'll watch for trepassers for them.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

For more insight on westchester county hunting politics ask LKNchoppers. He'll back me up on policy and sop. Its like nothing you guys have had to deal with. I wish it was as easy as doing some yard work or making a phone call, or dropping off a fruit basket once or twice a year. You guys got it easy as far as I'm concerned. No offense.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sucks to hear, and it an ALL to common occurence. I've lost 3 different properties in the last 4 yrs, while during that time I've picked up 2.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

OHbow, I'm more pissed about the circumstances surrounding the whole debacle rather than the actual losing of the property. You know the deal. I, like yourself, have 4 properties lined up for next year, but still, doing the right thing is rally the bottom line. If I'm doing it, so should everyone else.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that, I am pretty sure I will be loosing the family farm in the next couple of years so I am right with you.