Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hog Non-Bang Flop:  Devastated >

Hog Non-Bang Flop: Devastated

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hog Non-Bang Flop: Devastated

Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Hog Non-Bang Flop: Devastated

Range: 80 yards quartering away andrunning. This hog showed no indication of being hit.She went about 60 yards after being hit.

Gun: Remington 700
Caliber:.30-06
Case:FC
Powder: 49 grains of IMR 3031
Primer:W/W
Bullet: 150 grain Sierra BT.

WARNING: ThisWILL happen to you if you do not use a .50 caliber muzzleloader.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog Non-Bang Flop: Devastated

Since you know she went 60 yards, I take it the hog did not drop as you liked. I was talking to another hog hunter that uses a muzzleloader, a while back. He swears his black powder rifle will drop a pig faster then any other rifle he hunts them with. I have no doubt of your shooting ability. Do you feel his statement has some merit? He shoots them with a roundball, and claims it rolls them right over. So this is a very interesting post.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

"I was talking to another hog hunter that uses a muzzleloader, a while back. He swears his black powder rifle will drop a pig faster then any other rifle he hunts them with.'

i thinkthe gentlman is absolutely correct. Have seen several hogs run off after being hit with hi-power bullets and not be recovered. Saw one hog run off after being hit with 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet from a .300 Win. Mag. That ismy friendssure fire elk stopper re-load: Velocity is about 3,150 fps. The hog was hit right behind the shoulder. The range was about 75 yards and i saw the dust fly where the bullet hit. Saw that hog still getting it when it went over the hill300 yards away. We looked but could not find the animal. Talked with another guy who shot a big boar twice with150 grain bullets from a .30-06. It just took off and was not recovered.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting. Could it be the bullets used in the centerfires are zipping right on through and not shedding much energy?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think we've alllearned an important lesson: Only hunt with muzzleloaders!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Dominant Buck

wabi - I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps the slower moving muzzleloader hits, expands, and plows its way through doing lots of damage. While perhaps you're on to something with the high power center fire hitting and basically zipping right through.. interesting post to say the least.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Could it be the bullets used in the centerfires are zipping right on through and not shedding much energy"

No doubt that happens a lot of the time: The one this evening did not exit. It ranged forward, tore up thelungs and stopped somewhere.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think some people think I am pulling there chain when I talk about a long barreled 54 cal hawken with PRB and 120gr of RS. I have never seen any other gun except a high power rifle that got as many bang flops as that 54 and thats only when the high power was loaded with the right bullet. out of 27 deer taken with it I had one that ran about 60 yds it was hit in both lungs but toward the back of them on a 100yd moving shot.
I shot acouple of deer with a 30:06 and a 180 gr silver tip and had to chase them about 100yds so I tried hand loading a Sierra 165 gr boattailed HP after that they only went a very short distance, my 270 has always drop them on the spot with a 130 gr bullet.
I had problems with them running when I first started using inlines using 100grs powder and a 240 gr flat nosed lead pistol bullet the lead in the ones I bought was an alloy and they punched a neat round hole right through.
Once I started using SW XTP and Gold Dots things have really improve I have never had on move out of his tracks with a 250gr Gold Dot, it dropped boar the same way. Lee
Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Hey falcon, you should know better than to take anything else other than that Encore loaded with JSG!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

30 cal 180 gr bullet are usually built for elk size game i have always had better luck with 150 gr l;ately i have been shooting 125 gr barnes in my o6 with excellent results but i still prefer my 50 cal encore with 300 gr cast bullets;

Quick Reply: Hog Non-Bang Flop: Devastated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.