Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting form?

Old 02-07-2003, 04:51 PM

Default shooting form?

is there a such thing as your arm being bent TOO much....i notice the mosr i bend my arm the more tired my shoulder gets..what is the ideal amount...thanks
rather b. hunting
Old 02-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting form?

I'm glad you asked!

A short draw length is better than a long draw length , BUT , there is such a thing as too short of draw length! I found this out personally. You should have just a slight bend in your bow arm. Some good indications of too short of draw length other than visibly seeing too much of a bend in your arm are a sore bow arm and shoulder while shooting and a shakier bow arm while shooting. I hope you have a bow that allows you to play around with the draw length adjustments. If you do alot of surfing on the .net , you should be able to find alot of different pictures of professional archers in action that will give you a good idea how slight of a bend you need in your bow arm.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2003, 10:19 PM

Default RE: shooting form?

Three reasons for a bent elbow:

When you release, the hand pushes towards the target as it unloads the prestress, so you are on line for the target longer.

If allows you to use a very low grip, which gets you the best zero torque position

If it hurts, then you have ample evidence you are overbowed, regardless of what the rest of your body is telling you... Well maybe.

There are great shooters who shoot the gamut from ultra high to ultra low. High seems to be mostly amoung the folks with high holding weight like FITA/recurve stars. I know as my bows have crept down in weight, and my dropoff has increased, I have done my best shooting with low wrist, bent elbow, but that has also been the fashion, so I can't prove it is the elbow.

Bent may buy you some string clearance.

Edited by - ossage on 02/08/2003 04:06:14