Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting form

Old 01-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default shooting form

when i was at the pro shop last night getting my new bow set up the guy that was working with me had me pull the bow back first thing for him.he then noticed that i had my left arm out straight holding the bow at anchor point.this is how i have shot for years.he quickly corrected me telling me to bend my elbow out.anyway he readjusted the draw lengh on the bow taking off 2 1/2 inches.we went to shoot a arrow i pulled back and he told me to bend the elbow out and bring my anchor backinto place.felt very different at first but after we shot a half dozen arrows i was getting better with it.he said that is the correct form for shooting these new style bows.i take their word there they are very good and have been in business for years.do you shoot with this form?
Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Default RE: shooting form

Your proshop guy is correct. Your arm should no be straight and locked into position. It should have a slight bend to it. Shortening your draw length 2 1/2 inches sounds like a lot to me. When you shot your bow with your arm locked... Did the string slap your arm a lot of times? It hurts when that happens and haveing a bend in your arm will help prevent that. It will also help prevent the string fromcatching on your clothes when your wearing coats or alot of clothes to stay warm.

Chief
Old 01-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

yes i always wore a armguard practicing and hunting.i just looked at the cam adjustmentson my bow and from where i thought my draw lengh was correct he adjusted it back 2 inches not 2 1/2.which i guess would be right from holding the bow with a straight arm compared to a slight bend in the elbow.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:05 PM

Ya he's right, when I was shooting a bow my first time I needed to bend my elbow out or the string would slide across my arm.owww.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I've found that with my elbow slightly bent I can hold a steady draw for a longer period of time.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is as picture perfect as you can get with form.As you can see,his arm is straight.His forearm is turned out,maybe this is what your shop guy was trying to relay to you.I have never heard a coach tell someone to turn their elbow out.That is wrong.Your forearm is what should be turned.If this is done correctly,you shouldn't have much trouble with your stringhitting your hunting clothes.

The big thing here is the above is for a target archer,IF you have trouble with clearance,you may want to shorten your draw a little and create a LITTLE bend in the elbow.This has become the "correct" way of setting up for hunting but turning the ELBOW out is not what you should be trying to accomplish.It is the forearm that should be turned and it shouldn't be turned all the way out.

Michael Braden,pictured above is a level 3 coach and a 7 time national champ.he knows a thing or 2 about form.