Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OVER-Spined?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OVER-Spined?

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I want to shoot a really heavy arrow.....well.....because I can.
Does a really heavy arrow translate to an over-spined arrow?[&:]
Not at all, For my set up I have properly spined arrows that weigh in a range from 326 grains to 500+ grains. Spine and weight are entirely different beasts.

Dan
Old 01-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

these guys have given me a means to shoot both a heavier arrow AND still be spined correctly.

Yes, you can shoot a heavy arrow and still be spined correctly. I didn't know that "being spined correctly" was the question being asked though. I was under the impression that it dealt with being over-spined which is somethng different.

Take a look at a 2020 aluminum, at 29" it weighs 392 grains, deflection .426
Then look at a 2512, at 29" weighs 299, deflection .321 (much stiffer, less weight)

What I am saying is that there is not always a direct correlationin increasing shaft weight and increasing spine.

There are also weight tube options to increase weight.You could alsostiffen the spine (if necessary)and go to muchheavier heads if you are looking to increase total arrow weight.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 AM

Bob H - it is my understanding that adding weight at either end of an arrow will cause it to flex a little more in the middle. The FOC, however, will increase by adding weight to the front or removing it from the rear.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

With todays compounds and modern rests, over spine is not as big of a problem as underspine. As for trad bows, its all important.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Bob H - it is my understanding that adding weight at either end of an arrow will cause it to flex a little more in the middle. The FOC, however, will increase by adding weight to the front or removing it from the rear.
the way I was taught is opposite ends have opposite effects. So think of it this way, put a weight up front and the arrow will take more of a "push" to make it move, hence will flex a bit more then with a lighter front end. This is weaker spine.

Put a heavy weight in the back and again takes more of a push, but the resistance is on the back end hence it flexes less.

It works in my head [8D]and matches what I've read. I have also plugged it into software to pick shafts and it shows the same. though the weight difference in what you can do on the back end is smaller than the front end.