Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New spin on 3D...possible new format? >

New spin on 3D...possible new format?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New spin on 3D...possible new format?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New spin on 3D...possible new format?

Ok, so this may be a little along the lines of a Quicksilver "what if..." post, but anyways...

First, I've never personally shot a 3D competition, or any archery competition for that matter (I've really only started taking shooting a little more seriously since this summer). Now, I've seen a few people make reference lately to the pace of 3D competition (some don't like it, some don't mind it). Then I read a post concerning physical fitness in relation to performance on the 3D course. Now, I really don't think 3D seems boring (in fact I believe it would be fun, and I may attend a few local shoots this summer to get my "feet wet"). Anyways, I consider myself to be in pretty good physical shape, and I enjoy being very active. What if there was a "speed" version of 3D competition? Picture this: you're given a course of X number of stake/targets. The course is spread out over a fairly large area, and you are timed for each station. The person who makes it through the course the quickest WITH the best score wins (I mean this concept exists in handgun/rifle comps). I could see this being an enormous physical and mental challenge that would almost make it a REQUIREMENT that you be in decent (or great for that matter) shape. Ideally the course would require you to not only make uphill/downhill shots, but the course would require to to traverse rocky/hilly terrain. I think this would put an interesting spin on things and maybe even appeal to some of the younger crowd (like we need more young people right).

So...am I crazy? Does something like this already exist? I think it would be fun, but maybe it takes away from the purity of the sport, I'm not sure. Maybe it's the young guy in me. So...shoot me down
Old 01-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New spin on 3D...possible new format?

I've never heard of it but it sounds interesting. I doubt it would catch on tho, perhaps an exception now and again to have one. I'd do it but adding the fitness part of it nocks out the majority of shooters that I've seen.[8D]

Matt, there are a ton of them around all spring/summer. We'll have to get together for a couple or so.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 PM

I don't know anything about the pace of major organized 3D events but I can't friggin stand going to a "fun" shoot (spring thaw, fund raisers) and getting stuck behind some idiot with a garage full of gadgets hanging off his body glassing every target and taking FOREVER to shoot. Reminds me of the pinheads plumb bobbing a 70 foot putt on Sat at a public course with a 2 foursome backup on the tee box.

There is a time and place for everything...........some guys take things (includingthemselves) WAY to seriously.

A "quick" paced 3D event would be cool.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Matt, there are a ton of them around all spring/summer. We'll have to get together for a couple or so.
We should have a weekend 3D GTG sometime this summer somewhere around Rob's place, I'm sure we could get quite a few HNI'ers together for this if we plan in advance.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rick James

We should have a weekend 3D GTG sometime this summer somewhere around Rob's place, I'm sure we could get quite a few HNI'ers together for this if we plan in advance.
Sounds good!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 PM

I think it would be a neat idea at a well regulated and marked course, but in a pretty tight place with some of the nutjobs running around, you'd have to be really careful someone doesn't get hit.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good to me. I'm free most of the summer (perks of being a teacher). It would be nice to finally put a face to some of the people on here.

Shepdog, that was actually a concern of mine I was thinking about as I made this post...safety would certainly have to be regulated through proper course layout and a very strict rule system.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Basially sounds like a biathalon. Instead of skiing & shooting a rifle, you run and shoota bow. Sounds fun, but I don't think you'd get widespread participation.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know anything about the pace of major organized 3D events but I can't friggin stand going to a "fun" shoot (spring thaw, fund raisers) and getting stuck behind some idiot with a garage full of gadgets hanging off his body glassing every target and taking FOREVER to shoot. Reminds me of the pinheads plumb bobbing a 70 foot putt on Sat at a public course with a 2 foursome backup on the tee box.

There is a time and place for everything...........some guys take things (includingthemselves) WAY to seriously.

A "quick" paced 3D event would be cool.
Actually....I agree with all of this.

What takes people so damned long at the stake.....I'll never know. I glass my target to pick a spot WHILE the other guys are shooting. I step up and shoot.

If it takes you 2 hours to watch 60 monutes......you might be a pain in everyone's ass on the 3D course.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

Sounds good to me. I'm free most of the summer (perks of being a teacher). It would be nice to finally put a face to some of the people on here.

Shepdog, that was actually a concern of mine I was thinking about as I made this post...safety would certainly have to be regulated through proper course layout and a very strict rule system.
You know, I never really realized how close you are to my camp. I just plugged in Cogan Station into yahoo maps and your only 30 miles from me.Your probably only like 1/2 an hour away.......lol. Maybe this winter when I make it down you would be interested in meeting up for some indoor 3D? There is a club between Troy and Mansfield that is about 1/2 an hour from my camp that has a pretty nice indoor mechanical 3D course that I try and get to a few times a year. I'll let you know next time I'm in town, but honestly my property is only like 25-30 miles from you straight up 14.

Quick Reply: New spin on 3D...possible new format?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.