Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How bad are your misses? >

How bad are your misses?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How bad are your misses?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How bad are your misses?

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

If your buck is still alive the next day, That's a big miss.
amen
Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I don't think you can cant a bow AND use sights. I believe Nuge shoots bare bow when he cants it. If he is using a sighting system he's going to have to keep it vertical (unless you could invent some sort of angled bracket that mounts to the bow to allow for cant.)

I think that is also why his arow is nocked real high(compared to where he attaches his release) He sights right down the arrow. And with the flat shooting of todays compounds, I'm sure it is quite accurate without being as difficult as one would think.
Good points!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

IME,I have seen 3-4 inch misses left and right on bad shots that are results of torque or similar form issues.Improper release,follow through etc.This is with field tips at 30 + yards,put a broadhead on an arrow and get some torque and no telling what might happen,especially in the wind.

Canting is fine as long as it is consistant but that is hard to repeat for most.

YOU CAN cant a bow and use sights,as long as thepins are level/perpendicular to the ground.Most sights today that have a level have the level set square with the pins so as long as the bubble reads right the pins will be fine,regardless of cant.

Things get trickier with the 3rd axis adjustment and hills with a cant but as long as the 3rd is adjusted square with the arrow,that will also be accurate.BUT,darn hard to repeat.SO,for that reason,I don't recomend it.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tfox,

So they make sights that tilt? Other wise wouldn't your pins look like this
o
o
o
o

Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tfox,

o
o
o
o

Yes,they make sights that have a 2nd axis adjustment,meaning they will tilt.Most don't tilt much but they will tilt.

2nd axis adjustment is what sets your bubble.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen pure torque that causes a 6 to 8" miss to the side at 30 yards from point of aim. This generally happens in combination with a shot that makes you twist way around to one side or the other, mitigating the torque. I learned the hard way once awhile ago, everyone should practice shooting in stances other than ideal. Anything more than that size of miss I think there is more to it than just blaming in torque.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob PA made a comment reguarding canting and the level bubble one time that really hit home with me. Unfortunantly I can only remember the jest of it and don't want to miss quote him. Rob if you read this maybe you can re-enlighten us. Obviously there is more weight on the side of the arrow when canting, so in theroy you are un-tuning what might be a tuned bow.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

most of my misses came from trying to see where my arrow hits, moving my head and jerking the bow not following through,or pulling back and my peep and pins are hard to find usually caused by a limb in the way and the anchor point is not right.
being honest not all mine were clean misses.now the misses are a lot further apart.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Tfox,

o
o
o
o

Yes,they make sights that have a 2nd axis adjustment,meaning they will tilt.Most don't tilt much but they will tilt.

2nd axis adjustment is what sets your bubble.
If I'm understanding TFOX right,

The ONLY way a bow can be canted is if the bow is sighted in on a cant. Giving the example rybo gave us on pin configuration, the bow would actually have to be canted top limb left. That bow would have to be sighted in top limb left to be accurate out to different differences.

When a bow is sighted in level(plum)/perpendicular to earth and you then cant your bow, your shot will always be off the direction of the cant. Example, top limb right, you'll hit right beyond your top pin. It makes a difference the further your trying to shoot with the cant. People without levels have a tendancy to cant with a hill, cant down hill. Canting the top limb into a hill will usually bring the bow back plum to earth, check this with a level.

In the example rybo gave us with the pin configuration. Consider your top pin sighted in at 20 yards. Now with that same cant, raise your bow up for a 50 yard shot, you would physically have to move your bow to the right in order to bring your 50 yard pin over to the target. (assuming the bow was sighted in plum). Your 20 yard pin will now be to the right of the target, your shot will go right.

If the bow is sighted in with a cant, the top limb left, the cant will compensate for the misalignment in pins. This has to be consistant or it would never work, NOT recommended.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, it's not recommended but can be done.

YES,if the pins are set level with the riser,then you will be way off with a cant.

Quick Reply: How bad are your misses?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.