Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your thoughts.. be honest.. >

Your thoughts.. be honest..

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your thoughts.. be honest..

Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Your thoughts.. be honest..

Ok, this is a touchy one. Do any of you feel a bit disgusted, or feel some disappointment when a rookie bowhunter kills their first deer and it's a P&Y? Or the rookie killing a deer the first year and then saying thet they want a wall hanger for their next deer? Or, do you feel that people need to put their time in and go through the trials and tribulations of years of hunting before this happens? Say 5-10 yrs of hunting and I mean hunting hard. This is kind of an issue with my circle of people. I feel that in a way, hunters should have to put their time in before this is accopmlished, then again, if I were a rookie hunter and a P&Y deer came by as the first deer I could shoot, then I would shoot it. Some people say it doesn't matter, but I know many guys that have hunted 20+ yrs and have never killed a big buck, and they are dedicated and patient, but they just don't get the chance. What do you think??
Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your thoughts.. be honest..

Depends a lot on the area you hunt. You ain't gonna find many P/Y bucks in my neck of the woods no matter how many years you put into it.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no issue with someone going out and getting a P&Y buck very early on in their hunting career. It all depends on what kind of land they'll be hunting as well. If a rookie hunter is hunting on prime ground then he'll most likely beat the old hunter that's hunting worn out land (state land) by miles. Put the rookie hunter on the state land and if he hasn't killed something within a couple of years he'll probably quit and I wouldn't blame him for doing so.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's usually the way it happensI could tell you the story about a B&C buck that was killed in my county by a couple of boys, but it's a long story.

Let's just say it's a good thing they had plenty of arrows with them

Dan
Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do any of you feel a bit disgusted, or feel some disappointment when a rookie bowhunter kills their first deer and it's a P&Y?
Not anymore.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I think that "location" is the number one factor involved in one's ability to kill large (for your example...P&Y) deer.

It all goes back to what I said a few weeks ago.....

The ones that get me are the ones that live/are born into/move to 3rd base (i.e. the land of the big bucks)......and think they've hit a triple.

You're ALWAYS gonna have jealousy/mixed emotionsamongst the ranks when ANYONE experiences "success" early on in their journey.I just see it for what it is......AFTER I learn more about the person (i.e. know what they put into this endeavor).

Does it "bother" me? Nope. It is what it is.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a story for you:

Every year we have our family, about 8 total people includingMy father and I(I take my bow, I don't rifle hunt), out to rifle hunt our farm. My cousin, who is the same age as me (19) , has never killed a deer with any type as weapon and has been hunting since he was twelve. I've killed my fair share, so this season, I put him on MY stand, I knew he'd see deer. I know my woods and knew he'd get a shot. He shot this a Typical 10 point with a 30-30 and 28 yards, biggest taken on our farm in twenty years, out of MY stand at thirty yards. At first, I was a little upset, though I didn't show it. Now I'm just proud. I put him on that deer, couldn't be happier for him.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 AM

i'm jealous when a rookie bags a big un 1st time out... but not resentful... and I'll tell ya, as a rookie who watched his first deer come into site and then let it go (only about 1hr into the first day of my first hunt on opening day in WI) and have been kickin myself in the rear ever since (it was a solid 120" ~maybe~ low 130's) I do not think badly of a rookie who takes a big un... but at the same time i kinda feel bad for the ones that do take a monster their first time out, they've got little left to work for after that in terms of trophies...
Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do any of you feel a bit disgusted, or feel some disappointment when a rookie bowhunter kills their first deer and it's a P&Y?
Nope.

I'd feel a little disgusted if I knew a guy that had been bowhunting and wasn't serious about it or was a slob, got one.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

I'd be happy for them.

If however, they started acting like they know it all because they happened to get lucky... well, that's annoying.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts.. be honest..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.