Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Second Season with Tree Saddle >

Second Season with Tree Saddle

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Second Season with Tree Saddle

Old 01-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Second Season with Tree Saddle

Tonight, I finished my second season in the TrophyLine Tree Saddle. This could probably be moved to the bow hunting gear review forum but I ‘live’ here so I will let the mod’s place it appropriately. I don’t work or write for any manufacturer.

The tree saddle worked extremely well for me last year and I was able to prepare many new trees with spikes and shooting lanes during the off season. This brought my complete inventory to about 20 for this fall. I track the locations on a map and keep notes relating to each set-up. As my network of stands has matured, I have been able to designate them for early season, rut and late season. My bow hunting was entirely done from the saddle this season with the exception of a few hunts from lock-on’s.

Pro’s:

I have not had a single step (or any piece of gear) stolen since I started using the saddle. This is remarkable considering the number of pieces of gear that go missing in my area each year. I don’t even think other hunters know the location of my stands unless I have shown them.

On two separate occasions, deer appeared from an unexpected direction and I was able to kill them by simply and silently swinging around the tree to shoot. 360 degree shooting is a primary advantage of the saddle.

Tactically, my approach and departure to/from stands has become much quieter and quicker than with alternate stand types. I can slip into and out of the stand without disturbing the woods or getting sweaty. If the tree does not have spikes, then carrying and installing the spikes is the same amount of effort as using a climber.

The saddle is allowing me to hunt from some trees that would be impossible for a climber. For instance, I have a massive cedar tree that is spiked on the edge of a soybean field for early season. This tree is so full of branches, it would be impossible to use a climber, ladderor lock-on without cutting way a lot of limbs.
[ul][/ul]

Con’s:

My wife is getting a little sick of seeing WALMART receipts for tree steps.

The saddle is still not quite as comfortable as a good climber.

Unlike a ladder/climber/lock-on, there no bar to rest a rifle. You can rest it against the tree but it is not quite as steady.
[ul][/ul]

Bottom Line is that this piece of gear will add considerable flexibility to your bow hunting for about $200. Buy it and you won't be sorry. It will make a lot bigger difference than a new bow for less money. The gear review section has other reviews.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Second Season with Tree Saddle

I got one for christmas and i cant wait to try it out.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:54 PM

I can't get over how UN-comfortable that thing looks. I can't imagine hanging there for 6 hours and being very happy. When you say it is not as nice as sitting in a climber..........how close are the two??
Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

6 hours would be my limit. If I am going to hunt all day, I climb down around noon, go for a short walk/nap and get back in the tree for the evening. Thereality of my hunting is that I do not get too many 8-10 hour blocks of pure, hunting kitchen pass. If I want to hunt the mid day, I get in the stand around 9.

In a climber, youcan go for a couple of hourswithout even moving a muscle and that's definitely not possible with the saddle.

Youcan sleep in the saddle but not as soundly as a climber.

I hope that answers your question.

I didn't get rid of my climber because I still use it for some rifle and muzzleloader hunts. The saddle also works well for me becausesome of my bowhunting area is partially developed.The landowner doesn't want the hunt to be advertised to the neighbors and it's really hard to see/find a prepared tree. I am certainly not advocating tossing your climber in the trash but the saddle is a very adaptable and useful piece of gear.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Can you post some pics of a tree saddle? I have heard a lot of them but never seen one. Is there a link to a page somewhere with some good pics?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the tree saddle this year along with a lone wolf alpha (hang on). I used the tree saddle in the early season, first 1/3 and the lone wolf after. I use climbing sticks with both. Depending on shooting lanes, I can get 360 degree shooting from both. The tree saddle is definitely lighter and easier to "take in" but both take the same amount of setup time. I have found the tree saddle is good for me when there are leaves in the trees but the lone wolf is better once the leaves start dropping. I can set the lone wolf in a holly tree or in a tree right next to a holly tree when there are no leaves in the hardwoods but if I were to do that with the tree saddle I would have to cut branches to make it effective.

I like the tree saddle very much for what I use it for. Same with the lone wolf. I do not/cannot sleep in the lone wolf but have napped in the tree saddle as I tend to use the saddle for much longer sits in the early season when there is more daylight. The comfort level is about the same for both of them for me. Not bad at all.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trailinone

Can you post some pics of a tree saddle? I have heard a lot of them but never seen one. Is there a link to a page somewhere with some good pics?
I would also like to see some pics if someone could post them. Or a link would be nice.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trophyline makes the saddle. You should be able to see all you need to there.

http://www.trophylineusa.com/
Old 01-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Atlas, I played with one a couple times. It's not even close to as comfortable as a climber or hang on. I'd say about an hour and I'd be ready jump.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I owned one and played around with it in tree's on my property but I never hunted out of it.I intended to use it to get up in the air quickly while rifle hunting.Packing it with a 7 or 8 tree steps.I never found it to be comfortable or particulary quick to set up.I sold it.
Preparing trees and getting steps in them is something I do a lot of and will continue to.I like going in to a stand and going right up the tree,with little to no noise or disturbance.I can see packing in a 6 to 7 pound tree stand for remote locations that I have set up previously and didn't want to leave a stand.I really prefer sitting on a seat and having something solid to stand on.
This was my experience,there are lots of folks who have excellent experience with them.John Eberhardt for one uses them exclusively.