Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tree saddle

Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 AM

Default tree saddle

has anyone here hunted out of a tree saddle and how did ya like it
Old 11-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tree saddle

What's a tree saddle!?

Mat
Old 11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

About 80% of my hunts are from a tree saddle. I love that thing. It's a great tool, but you've got to use it right or you won't like it. Here's a post I made a while back that has a ton of detail on the tree saddle.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2445352&mpage=1&key=tree%2csaddl e&#2445607
Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM

thanks for the reply, i will probably get one next summer and pract. several times in the back yard and get use to it before going to the woods to actually hunt w/ it.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are my thoughts from last year. I have had a lot of success with it this year and I will write that stuff up at the end of my season.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2112484&mpage=1
Old 12-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

gzg and wilson....I have been interested in a tree saddle for a long time....do you guys use strap on tree steps sometimes?...the place I hunt I cannot put screw in tree steps in the trees. I would need to use strap on steps or maybe even climbing sticks(which I do not prefer to lug in deep)..I would appreciate any feedback, the little things that make the saddle difficult or great...thank you.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like gzg uses them (see his description). I have not used the strap steps because my land ownersare notconcerned with screw-in steps. The strap on steps should work fine.

I can't believe that more bow hunters have not discovered this product. The saddle is fine for gun hunting but it really shines for bow hunting set-ups where you have to quietly place yourself in the middle of the action and shoot in unexpected directions.

If you're willing to spend $800 on anew bowthen spending $180 on a tree saddle should be a no brainer. It will allow you to hunt places you just can't hunt with a climber.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest, I have a "tree saddle" I bought years ago...just haven't used it in the field. Just hesitant I guess. I am going to try it out this month after I get some strap on steps.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

gzg and wilson....I have been interested in a tree saddle for a long time....do you guys use strap on tree steps sometimes?...the place I hunt I cannot put screw in tree steps in the trees. I would need to use strap on steps or maybe even climbing sticks(which I do not prefer to lug in deep)..I would appreciate any feedback, the little things that make the saddle difficult or great...thank you.
I have used the Ameristep strap on steps and I like them. I'll use them to get to my furthest spots since they are so small and light to carry. They work great for any tree that you can wrap your arms around. For shorter walks, I take my Lone Wolf stick because I can get up the tree faster with it.

My favorite tree saddle setup is to find a tree that branches into two trunks at its base, and then hang between the two trees. Youget alot of cover, yet you can still shoot in any direction. And you have a back rest to lean against.