Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how to become prostaff? >

how to become prostaff?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to become prostaff?

Old 12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how to become prostaff?

Charlie, OMG! Yes, it has been a looong time. Great to "see" you. How are you?! I kind of fell away from the ol' place here. (Had my hands full with other projects.)

I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis back in January. (I know you've never heard of it... Few have as it's very rare. But, it's similar to Rheumatoid in that it's an inflammatory form. Your own immune system/white blood cells attack health cartilage andbone in various joints.) By the time they found it, my left foot was already pretty trashed. (I just started not being able to walk right one day. Continued to work through it for months until they finally did an MRI and bone scan.) As a result, I've been off work since last December. In basically sitting around on my butt all day I've "rediscovered the Internet", if you will. I spend most of my timeat huntingresource.com (it's technically the remnant of the old Secrets of the Hunt site)these days and the Mathews forums. But, I was cleaning up my old links last night and figured I would reminisce. Glad I did.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Television was a bit of a different animal. We actually made our living on selling slots to sponsors. "TV Hunting" was our day job. When Dave wasn't out hunting/filming shows he would be in the office editing footage with us. When I was still with the company, Bushnell was the title sponsor of one of our shows. Naturally, they paid a "premium" for top billing and their name in the title.From there, we had other sponsor levels. Naturally, sponsors would also provide gear to be used in the productions.I won't mention any dollar amounts, butwhen it was all added up we had enough for operations, gear and salaries. Nobody was complaining except for maybe having to work really long hours. For the most part, hunts were barter deals. (Hunt was "free" in exchange for televising/showcasing the outfitter. Of course, you always still tipped any guide you had etc.)

End of the day, it wasn't the type of living for someone who has a family and wants to "settle down", IMO. (I was and still am single. I had nobody to answer to but God and myself.) I guess it's just like anything, one has to prioritize. It takes a big sacrifice.Obviously, I got a bit "tired" of it myself or else I wouldn't have left.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

that is there work they get paid to go out kill big deer (usually bucks ) and sell product
i know Ted Nugentowns a outfitter on his land sohe is working for him self justbeing out there
i would like to see the budget for the shows though see how much the outfitter gets the guy hunting and how much they get for showing a product
ORIGINAL: okietreedude

Quite an interesting thread. After reading it, the one thing I havnet seen mentioned is some sort of inherant/self made wealth.

Sure, I love hunting too. But I have a house, wife, kids, bills, etc. that if I was out hunting as much as Id like to be, Id be living in a cardboard box eating from dumpsters.

Hunting is expensive.

Seems like the guys shooting the big bucks on Tv are in the woods 3-6 days a week. When do they work? Who pays the lease bills?

Would I like to be a pro-staff for someone? Good ?. It takes a lot of time. Not sure Id make it very long.