Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Turkey question again?? >

Turkey question again??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey question again??

Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Turkey question again??

Do most of you hunt out of blind while spring turkey hunting with the bow??
Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Default RE: Turkey question again??

I sure do. Not that it is impossible toharvest one without the blind, but getting that bow up and drawn back without being seen is extremely difficult. Tried it twice. In one instance, the gobbler looked away for about two seconds. I drew back the bow. Then he looked back, and immediatly saw that something had changed since he looked me over two seconds earlier. I was in full camo from head to toe.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Heck yeah, I do. I hunted 25 separate hunts for turey, last year.....tagging one on my 25th sit....the day before the closer. Now....I did miss 3 times......admittedly. But...I wouldn't have gotten a single shot off if I'd not been in my blind. I'm convinced of that.

Treestand? Different story. I'd like to know how may I could have taken from a treestand. But...we don't have a winter season in my county....and the NC deer/turkey winter seasons don't overlap, anyways.

If you're killing turkeys.....PERIOD....ANY WEAPON....you have my respect. If you're doing it with a bow.....Moreso. Throw out the blind and you're doing it (from the gorund)....and that demands RESPECT!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:27 AM

sorry for the non-bowhunting response, but turkey hunting just puts a smile on my face.........

Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have nothing against hunting from a blind, but let the turkey use everything he's been given to try and win. It's you against him. Leave the blind at home I say.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 AM

I dont hunt out of a blind and i have more shots at toms just getting behind a tree out sniking up on him!!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rather floss my neighbors cats teeth than.....................oh wait, wrong thread. [8D]

Yes, I use a blind. I'm convinced though that several of my shotgun kills could have been taken with a bow and no blind. When using decoys, you can get away with a lot of movement as long as you let the decoys pull them in and don't call for the last 50 yards or so. Sometimes it just goes down like that.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I have never used a pop up blind, but I make a ground blind every year out of sticks, weeds, trees, etc. etc. What ever I can find. If you get creative you can come up with some pretty good ground blinds. If you hunt where there are tumble weeds, they work great. I hunt in West Texas, so I use lots of them.