Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Question

Old 11-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey Question

How do you call a hened up bird to you? Is there a way or is it just luck???
Old 11-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Turkey Question

Depends on the set up for one. Its hard to get their attention focused on you when their henned up. I would use decoys for one. A strutting decoy could help. I myself get very aggressive and try to turn the hens to come my way. I'll pick a fight with the hens. I'll mock them and be more aggressive with them. Thats a start for ya.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

I try, like said above, to "piss" a hen hen off that is with him! This will usually be one of the older hens, and when she comes looking the rest follow. Pay attention to the hens and zero in on the one that seems to be paying the most attention to your calling and mimic her. when she go's to talk, cut her off with your call. This will help make her mad. Works very well here with osceolas.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

This is a great Forum! Once again I am learning from other hunters questions, thanks to allwho post!!!!!

When faced with this situation I have stayed focused on the Tom and been successful calling him in, also If possible I would move in their direction of travelahead of themset up a breeding decoypair and wait.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

I will have to give that a try. I never gave thought to trying to turn the hens. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone above has given sound advice. Quit trying to call the gobbler in because odds are against you that he will break and come to you. Find that boss hen and mimick every call she makes. She will usually come looking for a cat fight and pull 'ole Mr. Longbeard right to you.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 AM
JW
Super Moderator

If you can get a Hen to talk to you - Yelp - Cluck - anything mimic her (that hen) note for note! Repeat what she says to you only do it just a slightly bit louder. Hens are just like my wife - repeat what she says note for note - yelp for yelp with a sense of a bit more urgency and about the thrid time get your gun up as here she comes (the hen) and so does Mr Tom!

I had witnessed several memorable hunts where I had a hen walk past me to ge to that Tom Ihad gobblin'. One hunt the hen Yelped just once so I yelped back. she did it again and I mimiced her pitch and tone - that lasted aobut three times and when she started fast clucking and yleping I did the same. When she shut up I shut up - when she Yelped I jumped back on her immediately. I never let her get the upper hand as I was cutting off what she was saying. when she came in she was just screamin' her fool head off and came to 4 to 5 ft in front of me and stopped and became quiet. Mr. Tom was in slightly behind but I had to wait for him to hit an opening inthe woods for a good shot. He got to the opening while in strutt. I knew that when I moved the gun the hen would Putt - which would bring him out of strutt and head would stick his neck straight up! So ya gotta be ready - gun moved about an ichh - she putted - he looked up to see the problem - I blasted him!

Now do that with your wife and never let her finish what she is saying! I would be runnin' for the hills as she has the fryin' pan in hand!

JW