Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners? >

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I hope it pours on the opening day of gun season. Tag soup 4 everyone
8.59%
I only root for my buddies to do well. I hope the rest get skunked.
14.11%
I hope they all enjoy a successful season and tag out.
55.21%
If they cancelled gun season tomorrow, I'd do cartwheels!
18.40%
Less deer for everyone else = more deer for me.
3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Funny how the guys posting in the beginning of this thread have all the sudden clammed up - now that we're asking for directions to their stand sites. LOL

What happened to the team player attitude?

To me it looks like "I root for everyone else to do well, just so long as they're not eating my lunch."

Jeff - I don't really discriminate between gun or bow hunters either. It's not that I hope that just the gunners eat their tags... It's more that I hope everyone hunting the same herd as me (gun or bow) is unsuccessful. It stings a little less when it's a dedicated bowhunter, b/c I can at least appreciate his success. But, it really stings when you hear about some one-day-wonder gun hunter going onto one of my go-to farms for an hour on opening day and lucking into a big buck running for its life off a deer drive.
So Quik what I'm getting out of this statement is your AGAINST all hunters period????
Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 AM

Obviously, to a bowhunter,the less "success" enjoyed during gun season directly translates into more deer surviving to reproduce, and more racks making it into the following year.

No, what it translates into is more car/deer accidents, more crop damage the following year and possibly over population of deer in your area when there is not enough habitat to support them. Then they get sick and you are completely screwed. We need to keep the deer numbers in check because people feel the need to build a new strip mall at the edge of town when there is a vacant one less than a mile away in town!! What a freaking waste!

We all love bowhunting, but lets be honest we don't really kill enough deer during our season to accomplish what the DNR wants. So they have more seasons. And if we still don't kill enough deer the seasons get less restrictive. If you keep wishing gun hunters don't have any success the next thing you know your season will be shorter and theirs will be longer. Because where you pass on deer and let them walk they are taking them out, which is what they are supposed to be doing. The DNR doesn't issue tags out of the goodness of their heart hoping you don't actually kill any cute little deer.

I have never got the whole hunter pitted against hunter thing. I thought we were at war with the deer, not each other?

My take on it anyway.

Paul
Old 12-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ican't be the only one that sees this as two completely different things. Wishing your fellow hunters success and having someone hunt in your spot so they can be successful are two different things. Now the "same herd" thing I can understand, I might want my buddies or others hunting near meto be successsful just not on that 10 pointerI have been hunting, I get that, we areall(most) men hereand by nature competitivebutto saywe don't want other huntersto be successful because we don't letany and everybodyhunt our stands isa stretch.

If a person is a hunter I would think he has weapons to hunt with, available land, and game to hunt and I honestly hope he is successhul in that. Now do I hope he is successful to the point that if he is not I will put him on my stand? Is that my job/reponsibility? Honestly, if it is a kid or afriend or a very green hunterthen yes I will go out of my way to help them but to saythatevery huntershould do that for everyone is more than a little past unrealistic.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Quik,

My land isn't posted. But that is besides the point.I support helping the poor, but that doesn't mean that i am gonna sign my home over to a homeless family or donate my entire paycheck to charity. I support the sport of rugby, but that doesn't mean that i am a hypocrite if i don't allow the local team to turn my vacant lot into a rugby field. Again, your logic is so far off that most folks here quit taking you seriously about 5 posts ago. Great representative for bowhunters.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes you do, Lanse. If you are SINCERELY hoping and wanting everyone around you to enjoy as much success as possible - you should be doing everything possible to help them score. Even if that means opening up your own land to people you've never even met.

You just can't go off saying "I hope everybody does well" in one breath- andthen you turn around andwallpaperyour property with POSTED signs, hording the deer into your private sanctuary forjust yourself and your buddies' enjoyment-without SOME level of hypocrisy.

I'm just saying - lots of you guys are SAYING one thing, but DOING another. That's all.
Fran you're living in your own little world
I wish for all people to prosper and live well, as I am sure you do also.

Do you invite strangers to your home who are homeless to help them out? All of them?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

BTW.....Where's JELEN when you need him?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

So New61375 - you're saying: "I hope you guys all have a great season...as longyou're not shooting atthe deer that I'm trying to hunt."

Translation: "I hope the whole world has a great season.... All except for this one teensy weensy little area in my little slice of heaven, where I hope everyone gets skunked - except for me and my buddies.My buddiesare allowed to shoot any buck except the big one, which is reserved for me and only me."
Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Quicksilver is a champion and winner when it comes to rational debate.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

So germ, you can't see the slightest glimmer of hypocrisy in a guy who:
[ol][*]He gets online and says "Oh yeah, I hope EVERYONE has a great season! I support ALL hunters ALL the time, because I'm a big advocate of hunters being successful!"[*]Then he proceeds to kill a big buck in archery season on his posted privateproperty.[*]In themonth to follow, he deniesaccess to 10 random guys who stop toask permissionto hunt his place during gun season.[/ol]
You see a proud landowner who can do what he wants with his own property.

I see a greedy hypocrite who couldn't care less about whether Joe Schmoe gets a deer. He's got his, and that's all that matters.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been thinking about it for a long time, but this thread has pushed me over the edge. I'm treating myself to a rifle for Christmas and hunting with it before the end of the season. It'll be the first time I've rifle hunted in 20 years and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Most especially since I know it'll piss off nearly half the guys here.

Quick Reply: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.