Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A little help hunting Missouri? >

A little help hunting Missouri?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A little help hunting Missouri?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:30 AM

Default A little help hunting Missouri?

Myself and 3 other guys from Michiganare planning a bowhunt in eastern ornortheastern Mo. next year. Were doing a do it yourself hunt on public land, we are planning a scouting trip inMarch orApril.

Is there any helpful hints,tips, etc.you could help mewith like what county's are best or whats the best time to hunt down there before gun season.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Ryan
Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A little help hunting Missouri?

The week before gun season is the one I would go for. I personally haven't hunted it but I know a guy that hunts on Ted Shanks Conservation area. It is in the East-Northeast part of the state. Good riverbottom hunting from what I have heard.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive heard some pretty good things about Ted Shanks.

Fountain Gove also has some really good deer hunting. Might want to check it out
Old 12-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

rebels cove and deer ridge are in the northern part of the state
ive never been to either but i know people that have and they said there are shooter bucks everywhere
but i would deffinitely come the week before gun season
the rut is just startin to pick up and you should see some bucks
good luck
Old 12-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I just did a google and found all sorts of things that you could read to get your mind going and to think about. Like this one. I know it's a couple years old, but you can probably find a more current one if you browse a little. This gives a region by region overview. you can also check big buck kill records to see where they're coming from etc.

http://www.missourigameandfish.com/hunting/whitetail-deer-hunting/mo_aa113104a/

http://missouriwhitetails.com/

You might also pick some good info off the websites of outfitters like this one that advertises here on HNI. I know you said NE.. they're North Central. I found it interesting that they charge for the "RUT" hunt from Oct 20-Nov 20th. LOL I guess they put PreRut, Rut all in one.

http://www.imbmonsterbucks.com/missouri-deer.htm
Old 12-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

If you scout in March, look for the large Rub lines and sign post. Bucks in North Missouri are traveler's, they cover miles during pre-rut and rut. These deer will mark as they travel, but could take a few days to make the route again. Public ground does get more pressure, but if you hunt the far edges, on the big buck routes, you can catch them as they return from Private ground. My pick would be Nov-1 and up until our Rifle begins, rattle and grunt and sit hard and long. The mature bucks are not beating a path back and forth on any trail, always try to catch him making his routes. Fountain Grove WMA as mentioned, and Yellow Creek WMA are two that I am familiar with and have Giants walking them.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have some friends that have gone the last three years, they have had the best luck the week before gun....
Old 12-24-2007, 09:32 AM

I've only hunted private land around princeton and cameron, but if you hunt a funnel between private and public you'll be fine. the bucks are huge compared to what im use to seeing down here in southwest mo. also conservation is in the process of moving the start of gun season back a week. so if you want to go the week before gun season dont go off last years gun start dates. bowhunters in missouri should be happy about this cause now we can hunt in the rut instead of hanging the bows up just when the action gets good.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 AM

Check out the MO Dept of Conservation website for details on public hunting areas. Don't overlook the Fish and Wildlife areas either. If you have a boat, I would hunt one of the state's lakes with COE land surrounding it. Boat access willput you out of reach of walk in hunters. North of the MO River is traditionally the best for quality bucks, but they can and do come from all areas of the state, minus the bootheel. There will be nice deer on any of the bow only areas, but they are not gonna be "everywhere" as someone else said.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quick Reply: A little help hunting Missouri?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.