Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old timer view

Old 12-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Old timer view

Guys in MI 60 years ago it was all about Pheastant hunting and small game, now if you see one your lucky.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

My great grandpa lived off the woods... Raised his whole family trapping and running coonhounds and picking ginseng, cohosh andgoldenseal...for pennies on the dollar. I loved talking to him - listening to his stories. I still marvel at that guy'sknowledgeand appreciation of nature. Weird how 60-70 years changes our outlook on things.

He died about 10 years ago at age 80, having killed more coons than most people will ever see, and picked more ginseng than I could ever imagine in my wildest dreams... All those years... All those worn out boots... and never once did helevel the sights ona whitetail.

I'd ask Pap about whitetail hunting, and he'd just crackthat wry smile and say "Boy, you go run your trapline and leave those deer alone. You'll get more meat off of those coons than a family will ever eat."

Pap ate coon... No indoor plumbing either. LOL Raised 5 kids like that and lost one topneumonia. Old School. Loved baseball and nature. Shooting an animal like a whitetail was a wanton waste of a beautifulliving thing, especially when there were plenty of edible roadkills laying around, if you're hungry.

To him, a fun time in the woods was a 4-day trip back across the Laurel Highlands with hiscoonhounds, wicker frame pack,2 dozen dyed Victors, a .22and a carbide light. Deer and bear weren'tthings thatyou hunted for sport.Whitetails were just mother nature's window dressing - you could always look, but younever, evertouched.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Times have changed and change is good. Somewhat.
Somewhat is correct.
We eat everything we take unless we know of a family that will take it. I wish that were true among all 'hunters.' Luckily it seems to be the norm here.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

I know of quite a few around my parts that still hunt like the "old timer" you talked about, they hunt just for food and would rather shoot two yearlings than a big buck. It's their primary source of meat throughout the year.