Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What kind of deer hunter are you? >

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mature buck hunter, shoot does for the meat.
53.80%
Opportunist, if I see one great, otherwise anything will do.
29.11%
Brown is down, can't eat the horns.
7.59%
Kinda new, need a few more under my belt before I decide.
9.49%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default What kind of deer hunter are you?

I'm plain curious, there's no wrong answer as far as I'm concerned. It's your choice.

I love hunting mature bucks. They're rare and don't grow on trees. You usually have to work your butt off just to see one much less get one in bow range. I consider it an honor to see a true monarch, if I get one, even better. It's like hunting a different species. Very satisfying. A side benefit is that I spend an extra amount of time hunting them so I get to see a lot of neat things.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Bartender

Default RE: What kind of deer hunter are you?

As of last year mature with doe's for meat. That buck lit a fire under my butt!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

mature bucks only and does for meat for about 10 years now
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a "wannabe" mature buck hunter but I have to be realistic.......the area I live in sucks and if I only hunted truly mature deer 3.5yrs or older I'd fill a tag about once every 10yrs. Here in PA anyway. The first nice 2.5yr old buck will get it everytime here in PA, I just hunt areas that are pressured beyond anything many of you guys could even comprehend.

The standards do rise to a mature buck or nothing when I hunt the midwest but that's really working well for me too.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt an area with quite a bit of pressure and not the highest amount of deer. Simply put, I just don't see the deer that some guys do. Because of that, if its not too small.....then goodnight.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Mature deer, period. Shooting young things for me in not fair. I believe that shooting young things is completely wrong. People dont shoot kids. Fisherman dont eat little fish. Thats just the way I see it. Good post!

Hunt Safe!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

I'm pretty much like Matt/Pa. I'd like to consider myself a mature buck hunter, but the aarea I hunt is pretty pressured and not everyone is of the idea to let them grow older. I personally will only shoot a buck if its bigger than what I have on the wall(next one will have to be at least 130"+), everything else gets a pass. I do shoot as many does as I can for management(My attempt at it anyway), and donate most of the meat to charity.
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I'm a "wannabe" mature buck hunter but I have to be realistic.......the area I live in sucks and if I only hunted truly mature deer 3.5yrs or older I'd fill a tag about once every 10yrs. Here in PA anyway. The first nice 2.5yr old buck will get it everytime here in PA, I just hunt areas that are pressured beyond anything many of you guys could even comprehend.

The standards do rise to a mature buck or nothing when I hunt the midwest but that's really working well for me too.
You kinda seemed like an opportunist to me anyway![8D]

Besides, if you keep hunting for those big bucks you'll probly end up killing yourself!
Nontypical Buck

Put me down for #1. Mature bucks only. and a few does to keep the balance.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Now that I've gotten a mature buck this year...nothing else is going to due in the future. I'll shoot all the does I can for the meat, but a buck is going to have to be mature, be injured and need taken out of the pool or a very unique deer in some other way.

Quick Reply: What kind of deer hunter are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.