Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What kind of deer hunter are you? >

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mature buck hunter, shoot does for the meat.
53.80%
Opportunist, if I see one great, otherwise anything will do.
29.11%
Brown is down, can't eat the horns.
7.59%
Kinda new, need a few more under my belt before I decide.
9.49%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: What kind of deer hunter are you?

ORIGINAL: Germ

un-succesful
Gotta be getting close now!! It'll happen.

Seeing anything?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:24 PM

How about not very good. They are pretty safe when I'm out there.
ButI love trying, hope that feeling never ends.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Germ

un-succesful
Gotta be getting close now!! It'll happen.

Seeing anything?
28 does & fawns this weekend 1 Buck
1 buck I spooked at 5:00 AM on Saturday morning

I had a feeling he was out there, wind out of the east, I hunted eastwind stand. I had to walk by the wheat field, so I crawled through the CRP. I got next to uncle stand, I heard breathing. Moon was out and i could see a bit. Nice rack buck bedded 6 steps from me. When he took off he whacked his head gear on the stand to rubn it in.[&:]
Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mature bucks for me and Doe's for meat. HOWEVER mother nature decided to put a huge dent in our herd this season so i became a flexable hunter this season, made an extreamly fun year out of it, and took a decent 2.5-8 point and a Doe as well. Next season, mature buck or tag soup, but the Does better look out
Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still fairly new at this bowhunting thing. I've gun hunted since I was 14, but I've really only been a serious bowhunter for 4 years now. I've managed to take 9 deer with my bow in 4 seasons. The problem is only 2 of them were does! One was a mature buck taken in Illinois. The others were either button bucks or 1.5 year old bucks.

Here's the kicker: In 4 years of bowhunting in Michigan, I've only seen one buck that looked older than 1.5 yrs old.

At the time I didn't feel bad at all about shooting young bucks. Heck, I probably only get about 4 or 5 deer in bow range all season where I hunt. So I felt like I needed to have a "brown its down" mentality. I'm also starting to realize that I'm probably my own worst enemy because I've shot so many young bucks in the last few years that its no wonder I don't see more mature bucks. But as a new bowhunter I think it was good experience at the same time.

This year, I gained access to a pretty good area to hunt during the rut. I can see myself becoming a mature buck hunter next year, and shooting does for meat. That was my plan this year, until I hunted the entire month of October without seeing a deer of either sex. Then I got frustrated and decided to stick an arrow in the first deer in bow range. Of course, it was a BB (accident - thought it was a doe).

Now that I'm confident in my abilities to kill when the time comes, and I've got a few under my belt, I'm going to try to become a mature buck hunter who shoots mature does only for meat. That's my goal for next year.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sometimes wonder what I am.

I hunt mid pressured areas, private mountain land. We don't have alot of "big" bucks where I hunt, period. A 110" is a "stud" where I hunt, unfortunately. Still, I find myself passing all bucks each year....looking for that stud...even passing 90" deer which are pretty darn good where I hunt. I usually gun hunt one week a year, then take my bow out during gun season the rest of the time...looking for that stud. I hunt my a$$ off most years...looking for that stud. I have yet to connect withone very often. I gave up shooting small bucks in '97. 2 times in the last 10yrshave I even taken a mature buck, and both of them were with a gun. I can't tell you how many young bucks I've passed with the bow...and can't even comprehend how many it would be with a gun. Hundreds for sure. Still I wonder...is it worth it?

I guess the bottom line is I am a mature buck hunter....with not much success. I know they are around, albeit few and far between, I guess I just have to become a better hunter. No regrets though...I don't want to shoot the smallbucks regardless, so I just shoot does for meat.

I do envy you folks that have so many nice deer where you hunt. At least there is a reasonable chance of one coming by you at any time. My avg is "seeing" a mature deer about every 3-4 years. I made a trip to IL this fall and saw 4 P&Y class bucks during my one week, on self guided hunt on land I had never sat foot on or seen prior. (and almost had chances at 2 of those). One was over 150" for sure....amazing what happens when you hunt where they actually are. [&:]I've seen exactly 2 P&Y class deer in over 20yrs hunting the land I hunt.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt almost all public land and the hunting pressure is pretty serious, I ussually take the first 2.5 year old I can...However if I had the resources I would be more of a trophy hunter
Old 12-03-2007, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Tikka 30-06

I hunt an area with quite a bit of pressure and not the highest amount of deer. Simply put, I just don't see the deer that some guys do. Because of that, if its not too small.....then goodnight.
x2
Old 12-03-2007, 06:41 PM

I fit in category #2. I hunt public land. The first legal deer that offers me a broadside or slight quartering away shot gets a ride home with me.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mature bucks and the occassional doe

Quick Reply: What kind of deer hunter are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.