Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What kind of deer hunter are you? >

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mature buck hunter, shoot does for the meat.
53.80%
Opportunist, if I see one great, otherwise anything will do.
29.11%
Brown is down, can't eat the horns.
7.59%
Kinda new, need a few more under my belt before I decide.
9.49%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What kind of deer hunter are you?

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I think maybe we are all opportunists...........doing the best with whatever opportunities our little corner of the map provides us.
I am going to quote atlas here as well (very well put btw). I put opportunist but I won shoot anything. If it is a good buck I will shoot it. Every time I kill a buck my standards go up. Therefor one day soon I will be hunting strictly mature bucks.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I think maybe we are all opportunists...........doing the best with whatever opportunities our little corner of the map provides us.
I am going to quote atlas here as well (very well put btw). I put opportunist but I won shoot anything. If it is a good buck I will shoot it. Every time I kill a buck my standards go up. Therefor one day soon I will be hunting strictly mature bucks.
I'm not sure about this, personally, I hunt mature bucks. Because Mature bucks live where I hunt is that the opportunity that I take advantage of? By mature buck hunter I meant someone who hunted for bucks at the top end of the species for their area.

Without disecting this word by word, as an opportunist I meant that a person would take a mature buck if one came along but was otherwise content to take what ever offered a good shot, mature or not.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I'm not sure about this, personally, I hunt mature bucks. Because Mature bucks live where I hunt is that the opportunity that I take advantage of? By mature buck hunter I meant someone who hunted for bucks at the top end of the species for their area.
Not real sure if I understand what you are asking here but here is my answer. If mature bucks live in your area then it would be right to assume that so do younger, "immature" bucks. So if you strictly go for mature buck and pass on immature bucks, then yes I personally think you would be considered a true mature buck hunter.

Without disecting this word by word, as an opportunist I meant that a person would take a mature buck if one came along but was otherwise content to take what ever offered a good shot, mature or not.

Then yes, I would most likely fall into that category. But, I don't have the luxury of hunting 5 1/2+ year old bucks. The buck I shot this year was 4 1/2, my oldest to date and the oldest that i personally know of taken out of that area. I could have given him another year but he probably would not have made it through the season. Now, if by some reason I score a great place where the hunting pressure is mild, I will most certainly be looking for a mature buck.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am an opportunist. I would like to get a mature buck and I try to hold out for them as long as I could. This year I didn't see one and shot a buck on the last day of bow season before the rifle seaon. I could have shot many other smaller deer. One of these days the opportunity for one of them monsters that were out of range last year will be in range and I will make the best of the opportunity.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Just mature bucks, I don't shoot does. Personal decision stemming from an incident many years ago. I shouldn't go into it here. I understand the population control aspect and the need for it, but I've killed many does in the years past. It's time for the young'ns to step up and have fun.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt for nice bucks because it is a heck of alot of fun to try and figure them out..that being said I will shoot does as well when a good shot opends up and it doesn't disrupt my overall goal of shooting a big buck. However, I will shoot a younger buck, 6 points or more if I get a great shot and the particular season dictates it.

shadow
Old 12-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally try to harvest a mature deer, be it doe or buck.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt maybe 1 or 2 times a year without my 9 yr old son so i look for meat , and scout them days to help him out but before him 8 points or bigger
Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 PM

I have had two seasons that I hunted mature deer, them where the same two I had no deer. I now have Four eight point bucks under my belt. Two of which I am pretty happy with. Last year I passed up two different eight pointers because I knew of a real nice nine running around, maybe score in the 130 or so. Last year at gun season I seen the two eights I passed on several times drug out by gun hunters, I do not fault them, they did nothing wrong. So I get frustrated when I pass on deer only to see them get shot by others. This year I started to hunt a new spot pretty hard. A land owner close by says he has seen alot of real nice bucks taken off the land. But when the eight I tagged this year walked by, I could not contain myself. I know That in order to get a big buck, I have to work a little harder, or wait a little longer on dumb luck. I think my biggest problem right now is I always look back at the end of the year and tell myself I over hunted a stand, but during the year I can not stop doing it.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not harvested a buck in two and a half seasons because i haven't been able to get the right one in range. But i am very opportunistic on does. The ones that come within range get a new body piercing Muzzy style!!!

Quick Reply: What kind of deer hunter are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.