Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What kind of deer hunter are you? >

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mature buck hunter, shoot does for the meat.
53.80%
Opportunist, if I see one great, otherwise anything will do.
29.11%
Brown is down, can't eat the horns.
7.59%
Kinda new, need a few more under my belt before I decide.
9.49%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What kind of deer hunter are you?

I have been a mature buck hunter for alot of years (since the early 90's).............I made one exception last year with the bow and killed a 2.5 year old that I actually thought was 3.5...........Usually kill 2-6 does a year for meat and alot of years eat tag soup on my buck tag........but every now and again I kill a nice mature buck and it keeps the fire lit to stay after them.And I am a bowhunter only.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Lots of meat under a big mature rack.......and a few does too.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

Mature deer, period. Shooting young things for me in not fair. I believe that shooting young things is completely wrong. People dont shoot kids. Fisherman dont eat little fish. Thats just the way I see it. Good post!

Hunt Safe!
No offense, but how could you ever make such a comparison. People don't shoot any people, old or young. Criminals do, and will shoot anything, but people. I mean come on now?

I myself, am a fisherman. I find bluegills to be a "little" fish, but they taste mighty in the fryin' pan.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Um you forgot an option for usmanagement mined folks !!
See the top option!!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every year I questionwhere Ifall into this mix when it comes to bowhunting.With a rifle there is no doubt, I won't shoot a buck that I believe to be under 3.5 and haven't since 1999.

In 06' I wanted a 3.5 year old buck and passed up countless legal 1.5-2.5 year olds. I eventually shot what I thought at the time to be a very good 2.5 year old.......after aging he ended up being a stud of a 1.5 y/o. Part of me still wishes I would have let him walk, just so I could have hunted more......it ended my season too early and was a source of motivation to pass a lot of deer in 07.

I went into the 07 season this year with the thought that any buck I would shoot would have to meet 3 points of criteria. 3.5 years old, bigger than any buck I've taken with a bow,and I wouldbeproudenough to get it mounted. Again I passed several 1.5 and 2.5 year olds through the season, and when the buck I shot came in I honestly thought he was 3.5 when I shot him due to body size, behavior, etc.He was aged out as a stud of a 2.5 and almost 20lbs heavier than average.He certainly met my other 2 points of criteria though, and I wouldn't change the outcome at all......he is a trophy in my eyes at this point in my life and I'm proud to have shot him.

I can honestly saythat every buck I've shot with a bow was my biggest at that point in time as well, and I'd like to keep this up until I finally manage to put one in the books. I don't see myself finding another 2.5 as big or bigger than the one I shot this year so I'm guessing that itwillbe3.5 or older from here on out.............
Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

3rd year hunting, passed on my first whitetail ever, a young buck 4/5 point and it was my most enjoyable experience while on the stand. I hunt 100 private acres and I know he doesn't stand much of a chance living through gun season but thats a chance I'm willing to take to see some more mature bucks
Old 12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

See the top option!!
I think by management he means managing for total numbers regardless of age structure............not QDM
Old 12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

un-succesful
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: lungbuster12point06

ORIGINAL: GregH

See the top option!!
I think by management he means managing for total numbers regardless of age structure............not QDM
I'm not sure what his herd is like, but from all of the places I hunt and most I hear or read about it seems that the does could stand to be thinned a bit. If this is the case the top option would still work. No?

Quick Reply: What kind of deer hunter are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.