Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA Hunter dies in fall >

PA Hunter dies in fall

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA Hunter dies in fall

Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 AM

Default PA Hunter dies in fall

http://www.wgal.com/news/14703081/detail.html

Another tragic fall claims a hunter. Does anyone know if any state out there has considered making a safety harness part of the game laws if hunting from an elevated stand. Would be tough to enforce I know because who wants a game officer walking up to his stand to check but man I hate reading this same story year after year. I worked with a young girl last year who came in crying her eyes out one day because her dad fell from his stand and they weren't sure if he would ever walk again.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 AM

Default RE: PA Hunter dies in fall

That stinks for sure but,I don't think making additional laws would have any impact.Theguy that goes out there now feeling bulletproof and doesn't need to wear a harness will be the same guy who continues to do so in the future even with a law in place.That's my take anyway.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i also dont think a law like that would work. Too hard to enforce.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:51 AM
Dominant Buck

As a hunter safety instructor in Maryland they always sent us a recap and explaination of all hunting accidents. I'd guess over 90 percent of them are falls from treestands while not wearing a harness or belt or anything.Most involve home made stands. Another thing after reading these for a dozen years that pops out, is most hunting related accidents involve someone more likely to be over 40 or 50. That includes accidently gun shots and everything. It's you old dudes[&:] that get in trouble.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow thats to bad!!!! I have to say I have always wore the belt style and have hated the full body harness's. But this year the owner of WKP told us if we wanted to video for him we had to wear a full body harness for insurance purpose's and I hated every second of it till towards the end of season I am kinda getting used to it now and have adjusted to it and can't ever see me going back to just the belt style!!!! I guess it just takes making some of idots alittle longer!!! Walt
Old 11-30-2007, 05:08 AM
Bartender

Walt I am with you on this bro and now If I dont wear one I do not feel right.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Back when I got certified to teach bowhunting safety courses, I was able to look at some accident statistics for NY state. (some years ago)
What I still remember is that of all the accidents hunting (including guns),a very highpercent were caused by people you hunt with. And not only that,most were caused by relatives. So not only is it the old dudes, but it's also people you hunt with. Actually the percentages are probably higher, now that I know more about how these things are supposed to be calculated.

And lastly, every single accident could have been avoided by 3 standard safety practices. ( always treat gun as loaded, keep muzzle pointed in safe direction, know what you are shooting at (ie not blindly into brush))

Obviously I don't need to tell you this David, but just thought it might be interesting for others. I was quite surprised at the time, thought more of it was from other hunters in the field you didn't know...

Note: I edited my percentages because I'm not certain of the exact numbers, it was 20 years ago...but it was still very surprising.Also I remember not seeing any treestand accident statistics like the other person said...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

While tragic indeed, and I don't understand how someone could hunt without a harness, I don't think a law mandating them would be a good idea.

Just like helmets & seat belts, there should be no laws mandating them.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that belts are almost as dangerous as wearing nothing at all. We had a guy in eastern Iowa this year that fell and the belt slipped up under his arms and suffocated him. He woulda had alot better chance of surviving a fall. A harness is the only way to go when it comes to hunting safely IMHO. I wore a belt up until this year and I wear a harness now and will never go back to the belt. I work at a hospital and we have had at least 5 hunters come in this fall due to falling from there stands, one was on a hunt with a outfitter and was getting ready to get down and he unhooked his harness from the tree and the stand broke. It is scary to think something like that can happen.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard to believe guys still hunt without a restraint of SOME sort. If you guys know anyone who thinks they are bullet proof tell them they are NOT fall proof as well.

Itook a guy to hunt out of one of my tree stands and he did not have a harness or belt. I walked him straight to a ground blind dispite his protests. I told him I wasn't dropping by to spoon feed him and it's not gonna be on my shoulders.

Quick Reply: PA Hunter dies in fall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.