Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA Hunter dies in fall >

PA Hunter dies in fall

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA Hunter dies in fall

Old 11-30-2007, 07:10 AM

Default RE: PA Hunter dies in fall

Folks just a note but in New York state, and I think it is the same elsewhere treestand accidents are not included in the annual hunting accident statistics. also statistics show that one in three treestand users will fall in there lifetime, lets fix those numbers, Rope and prussik knot make it easy to be safe. Thanks for Your time...Ron
Old 11-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

making a safety harness part of the game
I hate to say it, but this is where Ex-Governor Jessie Venture(sp?)is correct. "You cannot legislate stupidly"

He made that comment when a lady ask to make snow sleds on thin ice illegal[&:]
Old 11-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can't legislate stupidity, but you sure as hell can tax it.People pay "Stupid Taxes" everyday (late fees on credit cards, overdraft fees at the bank, outrageous interest rates, parking/speeding tickets, etc...) Stupid has a price, and treestand safetyisanother area where we could tap the coffers of the mentally challenged.

Treestand safety is a financial burden that is borne by everyone EXCEPT the victim.

Think about it: These aren't the John D. Rockefellers of the world who are tumbling to their doom. These are blue-collar workin' folk with maybe a few grand in the bank, a pickup truck and maybe a little bit of home equity.

These guys fall out of their stands and rack up several lifetimes' worth of medical costs, which are passed on to who? That's right. You. The taxpayer. The insurance buyer.Bend over, fellas.

Congratulations, America: now YOU'RE stuckpaying somebody else's stupid tax.

So, IMO, anything that can help stop it - I'm all for it. This is a high-stakes game, and millions of our dollars are put at risk by every guy who is too lazy or ignorantor stupid to strap in.

Sure, the victim's life will be ruined, but I'm not really concerned about him. He took a known risk and lost. The real victims here are the working class folks who have to go out and pay outrageous insurance premiums b/c some fool racked up $375,000 in medical bills, without a penny in his pocket.

It would also be a good door opener to establish reasonable cause for WCO's to spot-check hunters in the stand. A lot of you guys might not realize it, but a very high percentage of DUI and drug-relatedarrests were a direct result of seatbelt laws which permit troopers to establish cause to pull over suspicious vehicles, and perform a "seatbelt check." LOL

Same thing here - a WCO wants to check a known poacher - he can now walk right up to his stand and ask to see his harness. That opens the door.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

You can't legislate stupidity, but you sure as hell can tax it.People pay "Stupid Taxes" everyday (late fees on credit cards, overdraft fees at the bank, outrageous interest rates, parking/speeding tickets, etc...) Stupid has a price, and treestand safetyisanother area where we could tap the coffers of the mentally challenged.

Treestand safety is a financial burden that is borne by everyone EXCEPT the victim.

Think about it: These aren't the John D. Rockefellers of the world who are tumbling to their doom. These are blue-collar workin' folk with maybe a few grand in the bank, a pickup truck and maybe a little bit of home equity.

These guys fall out of their stands and rack up several lifetimes' worth of medical costs, which are passed on to who? That's right. You. The taxpayer. The insurance buyer.Bend over, fellas.

Congratulations, America: now YOU'RE stuckpaying somebody else's stupid tax.

So, IMO, anything that can help stop it - I'm all for it. This is a high-stakes game, and millions of our dollars are put at risk by every guy who is too lazy or ignorantor stupid to strap in.

Sure, the victim's life will be ruined, but I'm not really concerned about him. He took a known risk and lost. The real victims here are the working class folks who have to go out and pay outrageous insurance premiums b/c some fool racked up $375,000 in medical bills, without a penny in his pocket.

It would also be a good door opener to establish reasonable cause for WCO's to spot-check hunters in the stand. A lot of you guys might not realize it, but a very high percentage of DUI and drug-relatedarrests were a direct result of seatbelt laws which permit troopers to establish cause to pull over suspicious vehicles, and perform a "seatbelt check." LOL

Same thing here - a WCO wants to check a known poacher - he can now walk right up to his stand and ask to see his harness. That opens the door.
That's what I want, the biggest buck of my life is walking right to me and here come Johnny conservation office..."just here to check your harness" there goes the buck. I agree with your point just don't know if that's the answer
Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't huntin plain view ofthe road, andthat won't be a problem.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

We've got WAY too many laws on the books right now. Additional laws to protect the stupid from themselves is ludicrous.

Natural selection is alive and well.

"Stupid Tax"? Do you just volunteer and have your wages garnished if you know you're mentally challenged?

If A WCO/GW has reasonable cause to interrogate me.....then so be it. "Checking to see if I'm a dumbass" doesn't constitute reasonable cause. It constitutes harrassment in my eyes.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We've got WAY too many laws on the books right now. Additional laws to protect the stupid from themselves is ludicrous.

"Stupid Tax"? Do you just volunteer and have your wages garnished if you know you're mentally challenged?

If A WCO/GW has reasonable cause to interrogate me.....then so be it. "Checking to see if I'm a dumbass" doesn't constitute reasonable cause. It constitutes harrassment in my eyes.
Agreed 110%
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

So Jeff: When you get pulled over at a checkpoint to see if you're seatbelted - you feel as if you're being "harassed?"

...and people volunteer for the "Stupid Tax." They just can't seem to find enough ways to waste their money on their own stupidity. They get ripped off on every car they buy, they run over on their anytime minutes, lottery tickets, cigs, snuff, slot machines, they pay bills late, etc...

Old 11-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I agree also, no need to check to see if you're a dumbass, sorry you open that door waaaay to wide
Old 11-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I don't think we need more laws. I know in PA and NY, it is not uncommon for a game officer to check your tags, so checking a harness would be just as easy. Despite your comment, Quiksilver, I have had game officers check my tags WAY off the main road.

Quick Reply: PA Hunter dies in fall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.