Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA Hunter dies in fall >

PA Hunter dies in fall

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA Hunter dies in fall

Old 11-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: PA Hunter dies in fall

So Jeff: When you get pulled over at a checkpoint to see if you're seatbelted - you feel as if you're being "harassed?"
In the truest sense of the definition......YES....I feel I'm being harrassed. BUT..... possessing a driver's license in the state of NC is a PRIVELEDGE and not a "right". When they use this "tactic" to illegally gain entry to my vehicle for an otherwise illegal search and/or seizure.....then YES......I'm (not figuratively,but hypothetically, ME) being harrassed. This tactic wasn't designed to make sure we were all wearing our seatbelts. It was brought about to LEGALIZE what has always been an ILLEGAL search (probable cause goes out the window).

So yeah....I call it harrassment.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

This absolutely wouldn't bea law to protect Stupid People from themselves. This would protect the American Working Class from the mentally deficient who can't figure out that it's not smart to climb 30' up a tree in a windstorm without a harness.

Think about who bears the burden in these situations. It's NOT the victim. That's for sure.

To prove my point: I challenge any one of you to find me one instance of a treestand fall victim with a net worth of over 2 million dollars. Look at who is falling, and you'll see where the financial burden really lies. These are construction workers, millworkers, factory workers, salesmen, kids, retirees, etc...

When I think about a law, I think about two things: Who is the REAL victim at the end of the day? How much does it really cost?

I know 2 guys who have fallen. One has undergoneat least 2lumbar surgeries to repair degenerative tissues from his fall. Never worked again. Epidural injections every month. Hundreds of thousands in lifetime costs.

The second kid is a quadriplegic. Visiting nurses for the rest of his life, spinal trauma surgery, lifeflight, months in hospital/rehabilitation, secondary problems due to paralysis. Now has the mental capacity of an 8 year old. His lifetime healthcare bill will be in the millions by the time he hits 40.

Hunting is a privilege just like driving. So, if you think seatbelt laws are a good idea... Then logically, it only follows that you should likewise support a safety harness law.

Safety belt laws are not in place to protect the driver from himself. They're in place to protect insurers from outrageous medical costs and to open the door for law enforcement to establish probable cause.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’ve never looked at it from quick’s perspective. I don’t like gov’t regulation, but I also don’t like paying insurance and taxes.

Maybe the law should read that if you DON’T wear a harness, you must have sharp spikes around the base of your tree so that there are no costly medical bills?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

This absolutely wouldn't bea law to protect Stupid People from themselves. This would protect the American Working Class from the mentally deficient who can't figure out that it's not smart to climb 30' up a tree in a windstorm without a harness.

Think about who bears the burden in these situations. It's NOT the victim. That's for sure.

To prove my point: I challenge any one of you to find me one instance of a treestand fall victim with a net worth of over 2 million dollars. Look at who is falling, and you'll see where the financial burden really lies.

When I think about a law, I think about two things: Who is the REAL victim? How much does it really cost?

I know 2 guys who have fallen. One has undergoneat least 2lumbar surgeries to repair degenerative tissues from his fall. Never worked again. Epidural injections every month. Hundreds of thousands in lifetime costs.

The second kid is a quadriplegic. Visiting nurses for the rest of his life, spinal trauma surgery, lifeflight, months in hospital/rehabilitation, secondary problems due to paralysis. Now has the mental capacity of an 8 year old. His lifetime healthcare bill will be in the millions by the time he hits 40.

Hunting is a privilege just like driving. So, if you think seatbelt laws are a good idea... Then logically, it only follows that you should likewise support a safety harness law.

Safety belt laws are not in place to protect the driver from himself. They're in place to protect insurers from outrageous medical costs and to open the door for law enforcement to establish probable cause.
Feel free to call me selfish or ignorant, but I'm comfortable with paying the $$$ for inflated healthcare and insurance so that the door is not opened for law enforcement to establish "probably cause" (I thinkharassment is more fitting).
Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well quick then where does it stop?

I agree with your point, but where does it stop? We might as well all just stay in our houses, because we might get hurt or die if we walk out. Wait I might die in my house. Should we have goverment inspect our houses so they are safe? Where does it stop?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I’ve never looked at it from quick’s perspective. I don’t like gov’t regulation, but I also don’t like paying insurance and taxes.

Maybe the law should read that if you DON’T wear a harness, you must have sharp spikes around the base of your tree so that there are no costly medical bills?
That's a much better solution IMHO. lol.........[8D]
Old 11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Like I said, Fran....you need to go at it from adifferent angle. Law enforcement got the seatbelt checkpoints initiated to gain what was otherwise illegal entry into passenger vehicles. Teh "War on Drugs" crowd likely were the authors of this doctrine.

Maybe the insurance companies could lobby legislature to get "Dumbass hunter" checkpoints initiated ....so that WCO/GW's could harrass us, too, even on our own private land in our own trees.

Or....we could just make everyone accountable for themselves and have your guy pay for his healthcare or die.

There is no set remedy. Either way....we give up something.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Or....we could just make everyone accountable for themselves and have your guy pay for his healthcare or die.
I was going to write this, but I went with the comedy route with the spikes at the base of the tree.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

to open the door for law enforcement to establish probable cause.
Glad to see you say that. I was afraid I was gonna have to call you a kool-aid drinker if you didn't.

(said in jest)

Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. They should deffinatley make it a law to have to wear a saftey harness in your treestand, that way if its a rule a lot of people would rather wear one than have the risk of getting cought, no matter what the situation is.

Ryan.

Quick Reply: PA Hunter dies in fall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.