Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many of you have tagged one w/ a bow during firearms season? >

How many of you have tagged one w/ a bow during firearms season?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of you have tagged one w/ a bow during firearms season?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many of you have tagged one w/ a bow during firearms season?

I've taken 5 deer with a bow during gun season. I've also had a nice 10 point hit through the lungs and run about 65 yards into a gun hunter. He claimed him, although he never fired a shot and was on posted land. So we had a few words over that ! I wasn't thinking, me w/ bow - him w/gun I was pissed[:@] Hopefully no one has to go through that.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 AM

I took my bow earlier this month on a landowner preference rifle hunt. Had a certain minimum size buck in mind for the rifle - never saw one of that size. But, after one bow stalk that didn't work due to the shifting wind, I got asecond crack at the same 150 classbuck with the bow. Nice to have "options" on a rifle hunt.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 PM

I do it every year. I do get strange looks when I go through game check stations. I allways get "you shot this with your bow?" When I respond yes, I get a wierd look and a congradulations. This year a 3x4 & a doe.

Hyde
Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Spike

Our bow season isnt open during firearms season here in Missouri.Archery isdivided up into two halves and our firearms season splits it.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tagged one the day before filling my last antlerless tag (last chance) and then had a heck of a lot of fun tagging one with a shot gun during. Shot it right out from under a buddy who never saw it. He'd cost me one by coming in so close to first light. Would have been my first bedded deer under me who bolted when he showed up. Dropped it like a stone from a hundred yrds out.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rick James

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Matt, not successful in filling tags but came darn close one here back when doe was still doe season. I can't see shooting a doe with a rifle at this point in my life so I carried my bow during doe firearms and almost came to draw on more than one occassion.

I wanted to say good luck in your quest this weekend. If I didn't have a friend coming over to try for a doe I'd come up and film ya.
Thanks Rob. We will get together later this winter for late season, or maybe some shed hunting and scouting for turkeys I'm sure. Next time it will be a bit more comfortable as well........

Don't know how I missed this one. Looking fantastic Matt, fantastic and I must say, I was comfortable the first time.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

I've tagged a deer in a non rifle area during rifle season in my original area. My only deer this season is a buck with my bow. Haven't had much luck with my gun.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:06 AM

i have shot a blackbear in pa with a bow during rifle season, no deer but i have tried to much pressure where i hunt.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using my bow all season since I sa the buck I named gigantor he is a huge mainframe 12 point and i want to get him with a bow if nothing else, I haven't connected to date however even with gun pressureI have been consistantly seeing doe's and teenage 100 class bucks within bow range, hopefully the big boy will follow soon as time is running out.