Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Season started here in CA and I tagged out opening day >

Season started here in CA and I tagged out opening day

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Season started here in CA and I tagged out opening day

Old 07-15-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Season started here in CA and I tagged out opening day

Archery season started in CA July 12th in the A zones. Well I tagged out on the first day within the first hour of hunting light. I saw 3 bucks (blacktails) feeding and heading my way. Two of the bucks were 2X2' s and the biggest one was a 3x3. Well they kept feeding my way on the trail and were now about 30 yds away. The big 3x3 with the tall rack stood broadside as I drew my bow. Something was wrong he saw something and took off as I drew my bow. Well the big 3x3 was long gone and the other two bucks stared me down at 30 yds as I held my bow at full draw. The 2X2' s were both looking at me and facing me without a shot my bow was drawn and waited for either buck to make a move. Finally the bigger of the 2x2s turned broadside and I put the 30yds pin on the vitals and he took off before I could squeeze my trigger release. Now the smallest of the 3 bucks turns broadside and I eased the pin on his vitals and released. I heard the arrow hit, thump. I couldnt see the arrow hit but I watched the 2x2 run off and fall over about 75 yds away. He field dressed out at exactly 100 pounds. I will post pictures as soon as possible. I am currently on active duty USMC and I am originally from PA. The USMC moved me to CA and I thought I wouldnt be able to bow hunt again untill I finish my active duty. Well this is my second year of hunting California and I have been very succsessfull. Last year I shot 2 bucks in Archery. This spring I took a CA gobbler with the bow, and now I tagged another buck. I finish my active duty in 2004 and will return to beautiful PA and continue my love of hunting there. SEMPER FI
Old 07-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Season started here in CA and I tagged out opening day

very cool[8D].............................i' m jealous[]
Old 07-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

JULY 12TH!!!!!!! Man that would be nice if the midwest started that early. Be nice to get a big ol' buck in velvet!!!! Just gotta wait till October one.

justhrowit
Old 07-15-2003, 10:02 AM

The Buck I shot was still in velvet. I peeled the velvet off the antlers and the antlers are very white. I just think they look nicer without the velvet on. Most of the buck where I was hunting were still in velvet, but I saw a few without their velvet. I still have one tag left and I will wait for a bigger one. Hopefully something mountable. My wife gave me the go ahead if I shoot a really nice one.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big time congratulations!!! Way to go.

We love to hear the stories, it helps tie us over until our seasons kick in.

Your going to be so spoiled from hunting out west you might not want to move back to PA.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Matthews congrats on the blacktail, my son is in the USMC also, he is with the 2/8, they just got back from the war a few weeks back. He will be going hunting with me for the first time this season if we can both swing the time off at the same time.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:03 AM

Antler Eater I wont be spoiled I cant wait to move back to PA. The hunting here is so different. It is all ground hunting for me no stand hunting like in PA. Also every time I go hunting in CA it cost me about $100 just in gas round trip. Back in PA I just go behind the house. Hunitng in Ca is very expensive. Certainly well worth it to me. I am not complaing but just very thankful to have the opportunity to still continue my love of archery while on active duty. Tazman hope every thing works out with you and your son on a hunting trip. Iam sure you already have a few deer tied up for him. He will be excited to spend some time with his father. Good Luck and God Bless.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats MATTHEWS , our season starts in 5 weeks down here in florida . Cant wait to see your pictures be sure to post um when you can .
Old 07-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matthews, congrats. You are having some streak in CA. Can' t wait to see the pics.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I live in CA and i didn' t even know about that opening day lol. I guess i decided to get a bow and pratice alittle too late. Its okay though. Come around next bow hunting season, i' ll be ready...until then, going to pratice as much as possible or until i break all my arrows. I broke two in an hour [:' (]

Quick Reply: Season started here in CA and I tagged out opening day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.