Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Banning shooting in city limits >

Banning shooting in city limits

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Banning shooting in city limits

Old 11-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Banning shooting in city limits

During the winter I live in Burnsville which was one of the cities listed. Good thing I was holding out on buying a target and just shooting at Gander. I think that it is stupid and crazy seeing as there is a lot of big parks and some woods around here. Thank you for the info.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I break the law almost every time I shoot my bow. It is illegal to shoot a bow within the city limits here. I don't feel I should have to drive twenty minutes and pay $15 to shoot my bow. In all the time I've lived here I haven't once missed my 2'X2' target at the 20 yards my back yard allows. I've got a good backstop if for some reason I do miss, but it hasn't happened yet.

My neighbors know I shoot. Their children know I shoot. I know not to shoot if the kids are out back playing. They know not to come outside and make a bunch of noise if they see I'm out shooting. We all have an understanding.

Perhaps its because of how I was raised, but if someone is responsible about what they're doing there wouldn't be a problem IMO.
see i dont have any kids where i live, so but i think it is illiegal here too, cause i got the cops called on me, so then that is why i now shoot in my patio. personally i dont care i wont stop shooting i am raised differently then other kids i respect my things i am not going to go shoot someone or somthing, i dont really want to loose my bow, come on this is one of the most retarded things i have read, i could under stand if it was a gun, but i dont really know why someone would fire a gun with houes by, but it is a bow and arrow, not a leathal weapon, people consider it a firearms and it is not, there is no fire involved.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

small rural schools arenot always the bst i grow up going to a sall rual school and would not wish anyone had to go through the crap i did

but i would never ed my kids to schoolor even live in a big city
You make a great point[&:]
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

small rural schools arenot always the bst i grow up going to a sall rual school and would not wish anyone had to go through the crap i did

but i would never ed my kids to schoolor even live in a big city
You make a great point[&:]
LMAO! dude i just spit out my coke after i read that......i was thinkin the same thing word for word lol. too funny.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I live in a real small town outside of the city of Phila. I have never looked into weathershooting my bowis legal or not, but I've been doing it since the mid 70's, without a single problem from neighbors. So if it isn't bothering anyone, I have no reason to inquire about it.
I usually shoot early in the morning or towards evening. Ialways make sure my next door neighbors, andthe neighborsbehind me, aren't out and about though. It'sjust a good idea. As you can see, I have tight quarters to work with, 25yrds max! It does fine for me though.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Man I'm glad we don't have to deal with some of the laws some of you guys have to put up with.I can see someones point of view with concerns about saftey when an arrant arrow could cause harm,but making it illegal seems to be a little silly after all aren't these your neighbors? What ever happened to neighbors being friendly and working things out between each other.I guess there is always going to be a goody-goody two shoes that has to have a cause to fight and consider it their job to rid the world of the backyard bowshooter.This is so silly.Like it or not though the good always have had to pay the price of those who sin and do bad,which is usually the few compared to all the really good people in the world.Glad to live in the country.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

I live in a small city & shoot outside in my yard all the time. Its not illegal here but I can understand the concerns.
This statement tho, "but it is a bow and arrow, not a leathal weapon" Is downright silly & wont win any arguements. A few tens of thousands of game animals are killed by them every year.
I'd bet if a municipality passes such an ordinance its because accidents have happened. Like it or not not everyone is responsible.
Punishing us all for a few idiots seems wrong, but what if its your house, car or God forbid child that gets poked.

Another thing we should remember is even if theres an ordinance against it, if you are doing it responsibly nobody needs to know. Its not like they make alot of noise.

Oh, one ore thing, the second hand smoke thing is not based on science but emotional BS. I dont smoke & dont much like the smell but if you think folks smokeing at a park during a ball game will hurt you you already need a doctor, a mental one.
Look into it, the science, once you weed thru the BS says its about as dangerous as the chlorine in your drinking water. Less dangerous than standing by a busy freeway.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I am going to have to stick up for this one. The only place around me that I have to practice is in my backyard. I have had my neighbors approach me with concerns because they do have small children. I told them I would be more conscious of it and be sure to only shoot when they are not home or while not outside. I understand peoples concerns when it comes to it, but as others have said people get killed by cars, we havent outlawed driving, people get killed by trains we havent outlawed those either. There are many things in this world that people get killed by and it always seems as though people are out to attack hunters. Just my thinking....