Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

That feeling

Old 11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default That feeling

Jeff's post about getting your heart pumping brought to mind another feeling.

I am talking about that feeling I get when I have deer at close range and they have no idea I am in THEIR WORLD. To me it doesn't get any better than that. I fooled them in the woods they live in.

As I mature as a bowhunter and pass on more animals, I am enjoying that feeling more and more. I have been very close to more deer this year than any year before. And have the pictures to prove it.And I can honestly say I have not been seen or busted by any deer that I have seen this year. Not to say I wasn't caught by one I didn't see. But I actually had to spook one that had bedded by me for 4 hours. I just needed to leave at 11:00 that day.

The more time I spend with whitetails close to me the more I learn about their behavior. And the better bowhunter it makes me. I also feel this makes it easier to remain sort of in control when it comes time to make a shot on one.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM

Default RE: That feeling

I couldn't agree more bud. Knowing you are that close to them, and they just don't know you are in their house, is amazing. Now, I don't let quite as many walk as you do, but I've let more walk this year than any other, and you are 100% right. Just watching them you learn. Their body language especially. What they are browsing on.....All good for future reference.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

totally agree....think thats why the sights of deer i KNOW im passing doesnt send my into buck fever mode...last year if i had time to see and watch the deer come in, i was dying before they got close enough...but as the season progressed i knew if i didnt see a decint rack, i was most likely passing so although my heart still jumps at the sight of ANY deer, having them up close doesnt do what it used to to me...

i love it though...i still get a feeling nothing else will give me...i can sit there ALL day and watch 1 deer mill around..love watching them scratch themselves or groom themselves..i always get a big kick outta that..

last year i watched a big 6pt smash his face in the rear of a doe...she wanted no parts of that...actually kicked him(maybe accidental as she jumped when his nose hit her..but kicked him none the less lol) i watched him walk off like a sad puppy dog...that was awesome...i still smile when i think about that..

any time i can watch deer, is a learning expirience...buck, doe, young, old...it dont matter...still can learn from watching them...and they always gimme that feeling...

and your right, when they disappear because they are DIRECTLY under my stand always makes me smile "i did it...i fooled them in their house..." to have an animal directly under you in their own turf and not get busted makes me feel like i did it all right...even if its a doe..if you can fool a mature doe with fawns, you can fool the big ole buck...i find it impressive when they are THAT close to me...my trail, setting up the climber and walking around the tree a half dozen times, just awesome
Old 11-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I think I've likely seen as many deer as most anyone in the short time I've been bowhunting.....and I agree with you. That's what's "cool" about what we do. I try just as hard to go undetected on the ones I'm not going to take.

It's that feeling that you kind of "shouldn't be there" that I love.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Love it!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great thread John, very very true... And yes, that feeling is what it's all about.