Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Alternative to buying own hunting land >

Alternative to buying own hunting land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Alternative to buying own hunting land

Old 11-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Default Alternative to buying own hunting land

jmbuckhunter's poll thread on buying 40 or 80 acres prompted me to post this thread. Let me begin by saying that as most probably know I have always been a staunch opponent to leasing. I suppose because I am old school, I couldn't justify spending money for land to hunt, couldn't afford it, and leasing was relatively unknown to my area of the state. No more. Leasing land to hunt has become more common here and though I still have land to hunt by permission, its dwindling due to various reasons, plus I do not have exclusive rights to any of it. Sometimes that makes it tough to have a good hunting experience even though the few others who hunt it are pretty decent and respectful people.

My possible alternative might be to lease some good property for hunting instead of buying a small chunk. I know owning land is generally a great investment, but why could I not lease some good land with interest money therefore keeping the prinicpal in the bank?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Alternative to buying own hunting land

I had thought of that option too. But to me it just seems too unstable. Unless you lease from someone you know or can get a longterm lease. I know guys that have to find a new lease every couple of years. Someone else offers more money so they lose the property or outfitters take over the lease of their property. Kind of a risky situation in my opinion.

But I am sure it works out great for many guys.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I had thought of that option too. But to me it just seems too unstable. Unless you lease from someone you know or can get a longterm lease. I know guys that have to find a new lease every couple of years. Someone else offers more money so they lose the property or outfitters take over the lease of their property. Kind of a risky situation in my opinion.

But I am sure it works out great for many guys.
I've thought of those situations as well and those are great points to consider. In my financial situation and with the ever increasing price of huntable land I doubt I could purchase more than 30-40 acres. Any huntable parcel that comes up for sale or is sold by auction now advertises trophy deer, turkey, etc. and is drawing outfitters, wannabe outfitters[:'(], along with regular landowners. The land is going for about the same price as tillable around here. I'd love to own, just don't know if that small of a parcel would justify me buying it.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

With that amount of property you are also correct in that its important in how the surrounding landowners/hunters.....hunt.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:10 AM

well if you can only afford to buy land that is a smaller parcel buy in the middle of no wherealso i dont where alot of people live around here but i some people could probaly do the trip, georgia has some of the best prices on land for sale, i have seen chunks of property around 100-150 for around 200-250k i have also seen a few smaller parcels like 30 acres for 78k, that atleast down here where i live is good i dont know about other states though.