Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what to look for when buying hunting land >

what to look for when buying hunting land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what to look for when buying hunting land

Old 07-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what to look for when buying hunting land

i am planing to buy some hunting land this winter or early spring
now my plans are kind of givin to any hunter i plan to put in a foodplotand some stands now my question is what do i look for when i go to buy land
1 should i buy next to public hunting woods like fish and wildlife or so on as there are a few large parks near me thatlet you hunt there
2 how much land do i get i am thinking a min of about5 maybe up to 10it's cheap enough which were i am at might be possiable is 5 enough it would bejust me maybe a friend or two every so often after i get mine baged first lollol
3 do i buyland with a watersourcejust dig a pond after i buy
4 food plot wise for mainlybow hunting do i wont a lot of woods with littleclearing or the other way aroud and how much food plot do i need to but in to draw those big deer in
any other tips to help me get the best out of my money and time it will take to make it a good spot will help
Old 07-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what to look for when buying hunting land

Animals are a good thing!

Good cover, water, food, & OIL!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah,

Get the oil rights, then buy a bigger tract.

That's the Texas way.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:19 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I have a piece of ground that is 43 acres along the yellowstone river. It is all trees and it is land that is the same as when lewis and clark wnt through here. It is an area that they camped at or near this property. It also has an island with it that is full of trees. There are deer all over the place with beet fields and alfelfa fields. This land has had nothing done to it since God was a boy. It is beuatiful place. There is alot of public land right there to hunt on with all kinds of game. What would you think this piece of land would go for.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the price is affordable buy as much ground as you can,I would prefer ground withmostly tree's,a water sourceand some cleared ground to plant food plots in.Thick cover is good for deers to bed or hide in and tree's are helpful if they are nut/acorn bearing tree's to draw deers in to feed.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

If the price is affordable buy as much ground as you can,I would prefer ground withmostly tree's,a water sourceand some cleared ground to plant food plots in.Thick cover is good for deers to bed or hide in and tree's are helpful if they are nut/acorn bearing tree's to draw deers in to feed.
GTO nailed it on the head!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: neb

I have a piece of ground that is 43 acres along the yellowstone river. It is all trees and it is land that is the same as when lewis and clark wnt through here. It is an area that they camped at or near this property. It also has an island with it that is full of trees. There are deer all over the place with beet fields and alfelfa fields. This land has had nothing done to it since God was a boy. It is beuatiful place. There is alot of public land right there to hunt on with all kinds of game. What would you think this piece of land would go for.
How would you like to be my new best friend. If I had to guess, I'd bet your land was somewhere between Billings and the Yellowstone's confluence with the Missouri. Of course if it's west of Billings It would be worth even more. Gonna need the closest town for a better price quote?

Either way, I'm jealous.

Big time 6656. Depending on what part of the country you're in, a water source on the property may be great or justo.k. You mentioned public land. If you could buy an adjoining property, theres where your money for the size track you're interested in, would be best spent, imo, especially if the public itself has more difficult access there (meaning less public land hunters). Either way, I'd pick a spot with lots of trees, brush, undergrowth, as much asyou could stand to still accomplish whatever improvements you intend to make. Give the deer some comfort on your land so they won't feel as vulnerable, since it's a smaller tract. Plus hopefully you'd have lots of public landout your back doorto move around in as well. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: neb

I would be certain that it would go for about $100 an acre. I will give you $200 an acre for it right now though. Do you accept PayPal?
LOL!
Old 07-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The most important thing is to get out and scout the land you're thinking of buying. It's a heckuva lot easier if there are already decent numbers of deer on you land before you buy it, as opposed to trying to attract them with food plots after you buy it. Water can be very or not so important, depending on what part of the country you live in.

Get as much land as you can afford - 5 or 10 acres is on the small side unless you are bordering public land that you can hunt as well. Just keep in mind that you might have problems with tresspasers/slob hunters if you're up against public land.

My family bought 60 acres about 5 years ago, and it's been the best purchase we've ever made.On the map it doesn't look like the best hunting spot in the world (right next to a small town, bordering a large coal mining operation, lots of open grassland, etc.) but we got out and scouted it, andfound scads ofdeer& turket sign, so webought it. 5 years later, we've been averaging6 deer and3 turkey taken off those 60 acres each year!

Get out and stomp around in the woods!You might find a hidden treasure....

Old 07-28-2007, 08:42 AM

I guess my recommendation would be to look at the potential of what that land could become. You've already mentioned food plots which is good. Take a look and what your land could become in 5/10 years.

Quick Reply: what to look for when buying hunting land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.