Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 10yd or less shots from a tree. >

10yd or less shots from a tree.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10yd or less shots from a tree.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default 10yd or less shots from a tree.

I'll begin by stating the obvious, I know that this would be easy enough to figure out in a real situation from a tree and I know I should have this figured out already, BUT, its 10:15 and I'm on the couch. If you were in your tree say 25 ft high and you dropped an arrow straight down, it would fall straight down. If you shot that arrow it would do the xact same thing right? Now, if you needed to use your sight on a straight down shot, you would use the pin closest to the arrow, which would still have you shooting aprox. 6" low, so you would need to compensate. Easy enough to figure out and get done. Now on to the question with the paragraph long intro. At what distance(or angle) from the base of the tree does the 6"(approx.) compensation end, and the 20yd(or 10) pin take affect? Again, I know it would be easy enough to figure out, but for discussion sake lets see what everyone says.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 10yd or less shots from a tree.

I should have guessed this was too late for all the philosophers.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Basically, you ignore the issue of how high you are for pin selection. You choose your pin based on how far away horizontally the deer is from you. If I had a deer at 5 horizontal yards, I'd use my ten yard pin and aim a smidge low.

If the deer is really close, say at the base of the tree, you're talking about a spine shot (which I'm not adept enough for) and you'll want to wait until the deer if facing straight toward or straight away from you. Then, all you have to do is worry about not missing left and right. If you're high or low, whether or not pin selection/distance is a factor, you still hit spine.

If you want specific distances for adjustment, you need to practice and test because the specific numbers will vary depending on the setup (bow, arrows, broadhead weight, etc.) I'm shooting an older bow so my arrows don't fly nearly as fast as those shot by friends with more modern bows. In fact, my bow is so much slower than modern bows that my 10 yard pin is close to the top of my sight circle, my 20 yard is in the middle and my third pin is closer to the bottom though not sighted in and not far enough down yet for 30 yards!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Droptine, does the dropping an arrow out of the tree theory sound right to you though? It does to me. I'm going to have to try this out for real. Many years ago I missed the biggest buck I ever had a shot at, at about 5 yds. from the base of my tree. Clean missed, probably due just because of this exact quest. Also wondering how a 20 yd pin could work practically straight down when evryone says to use the one closest to the arrow.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

I also do not look for that straight down shot, not a big fan of the spine shot.