Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Patch after 50 shots with no wiping between shots >

Patch after 50 shots with no wiping between shots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patch after 50 shots with no wiping between shots

Old 03-10-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Patch after 50 shots with no wiping between shots

Cleaning patch after a 50 shot range session this morning without wiping between any shots:
.50cal / .490 / 50grns Goex 3F / Hoppes No9 BP PLUS patch lube /.018 pillow ticking

Old 03-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Default RE: Patch after 50 shots with no wiping between shots

looks just like the first patch ever sent down my rifle hehe (old topic)
Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm suprised that everyone didn't bash you for not swabbing between shots. Supposedly your barrell will blow up if you don't. I would doubt if any of the people who stated that fact had actually tried it. I for one have shot up to 30 times without swabbing and find my bore to be little dirtier than 5 shots in a row with no swabbing. Your accuracy is what suffers.

That was pretty interesting. You fired 50 shots in a row with no swabbing whatsoever, correct? Please clarify.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

when shooting roundball, I very seldom if ever swab between shots. I swab at the end of the day. While my patch might be a little more dirty then that, it is all a matter of the lube and powder you use. Roundball is much more forgiving in the swabbing department then sabots for instance.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:32 PM

ah, I see. That's very interesting. I should have figured that.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:03 PM

I dont swab either with PRB. when i notice that it feels tighter i just add some bore butter to the patch and it breaks it loose for another 10 shots or so. With my inline i seldom swab unless i am looking for accuracy.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a hard time getting a PRB down the spout if I don't swab at least once. What is different with my Lyman that would cause this. I use Goex 2f, .490, .018 TC pillow tick patch
Old 03-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Shooting 50 shot range sessions without wiping between shots is not the news...been doing that most weekends from April through November for a few years now justusing natural lube 1000 patches...the trick there is our humidity is mdeium to high during those months so the fouling never hasa chance to dry out and set up.

The news is that I can now do it every Saturday during the cold, dry, winter months too...the Natural Lube 1000 patches were not wet enough...but experimenting with the Hoppes liquid lube on my last severalSaturday range sessions I found it to beoutstanding, never had to wipe between a single shot.

Moisture is the key.

Mositurehas to get into the bore one way or another to keep the fouling soft so that every time a patched ball is seated it wipes the walls clean from the previous shot...the moisture will besucked into the bore out of high humidity air in less than a minute...or...it can be put into the bore with a good liquid lube like Hoppes...complete name is:

Hoppes No9 PLUS BP Solvent & Patch Lube
Old 03-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe that was part of my problem. It was 15-20 F when I was out so maybe everything froze up in there????
Old 03-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Around here,in cold weather thehumidity is usually low...January/February Saturdays I'm at the range right after first light, 18*-20*, the Hoppes soaked patches work fine...and I keep them more wet than damp...enough that picking them up and separating them for each shot, the tips of those cheap plain brown cotton gloves get wet from handling them