Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to pull in a grunting buck? >

How to pull in a grunting buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to pull in a grunting buck?

Old 11-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to pull in a grunting buck?

i i grunt about 6-8 times in a row, i space them out aboutthe speed ofa buck trotting slowly by.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 AM

agreed planter, start your drags from the bait pile... i tend to bleat or perhaps 'lost call' sometimes a grunt will be ineffective on larger bucks. and if its in the brush behind u, u really dont know what type of buck it is.... some bigger bucks dont care about grunts, and small bucks wont stay around for snort wheeze, so i tend to act like a doe is around, specially if u scent dragged...
Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Spike

I assume all you's saying that you'd be grunting or bleating realize the deer is already in bowrange and your up in a tree... I dont know if its just me or not but whenever I have tried any kind of call from within 35 yards from up in a tree it always ends up spooking the deer. Seems like when they are that close they can tell your up in the tree or atleast they get spooked from a noise so close since they probably would know if there are any other deer in the area already. Granted, its only a couple of times I've tried calling them that close... maybe I am just not soft enough.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:04 PM

totally valid eagle eyes, they can pick up on elevation of noises.... i just try to be soft and aim the call away from the deer, and down into my chest... its possible they spook, but if they are in bow range and not shootable cause of thick brush than i just feel like trying something... maybe its cause im in ontario and the deer population is alot smaller than some US states, i just dont like the idea of not trying something, letting it walk without an effort... know what i mean? if the brush is that thick that you cant see the deer 35 yards away, than its fair to assume the deer cant see around your stand either....
Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Spike

Very true inept... and the few times I actually tried the closer range calling was basically a last ditch effort. In thos instances the deer was already heading away with no sign that it might come back. Just wanted to point out I think folks should really be carefull when calling at close range, especially from up high.