Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Grunting with a buck downwind... >

Grunting with a buck downwind...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Grunting with a buck downwind...

Old 10-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Grunting with a buck downwind...

Well here's the deal. I got it handed to me this morning. I grunted a nice buck in from 150 -200 yards out into 50 yards. Of course he came from where he wasn't supposed to and was directly downwind of me. He came in on a string right towards me and was seconds away from getting it when he stopped, winded me and vacated [:@]. Do you take the chance trying to call in a mature buck that's downwind of you knowing he's going to approach you from that way and a good chance he's going to smell you? Or do you let him be on his way and hope for a better wind on a better day and not take the chance of him knowing you exist?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Grunting with a buck downwind...

I dont worry about my scent, I take alot of care to make sure Im scent free in the woods. So if he wants or needs to come in from downwind, so be it. Its just a confidence factor. If Im winded, I dont think the game is up either. You can still strike up his curiosity and get him to come back that day or another day.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

You can reduce your scent but you CANNOT eliminate it. Scientists believe that the number of scent receptors in a deers nose makes it's nose TEN THOUSAND more sensitive than a humans nose. When I hear a hunter say, "I don't worry about the wind, I have scent lock" (Hey, isn't that an old tv commercial?) I giggle to myself. If a deer is 50 yards downwind of you in your fancy suit and he catches your direct wind he WILL smell you. If by chance he does not, it simply means the wind went over his head. If a monster buck is down wind, I'm not going to grunt at him, I'll justgive away my position if i do, instead, I'll figure I set up on him wrong and I'llhope he comes back through later in the hunt or on on another day.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

A very hard call NYB.I believe I would actually try to grunt the buck in,if I thought I could dupe him,meaning he hasn't come through where I am and he isn't able to see the entire area I am in.
I hope you get an opportunity at him.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with droptine, and outdoorsman

but i'd still be thinking to myself "dont wind me, please dont bust me!!!!"
Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Just because many people won't comprehend how much better ten thousand times is (which is how many times better a deers nose is compared to a human nose) I thought of a couple of analogies to help. If a humans nose was aNASCR going 200 mph around the racetrack, a deerscar would be a cartraveling at 2 million MPH. Ifa human nose can smell a bratwurst cookingon a grill at 50 yards, the deers nose would smell it the same wayat a half of a millionsyards.

Wearing rubber bootsinto your stand and then setting upusing thewind in your favor isthe best way to hunt, don't waste your money on expensive scent control suits, that's just corporate brainwashingselling you something that you can do without. IMHO.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

The man said he called to a buck that was down wind and from 150 yards away. The deer came to 50 yards and busted him. His question was would you have done the same thing???????? I would have taken the chance just like you did. Definantly would have pointed to tube off to the side to try and fool him though.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can reduce your scent but you CANNOT eliminate it. Scientists believe that the number of scent receptors in a deers nose makes it's nose TEN THOUSAND more sensitive than a humans nose. When I hear a hunter say, "I don't worry about the wind, I have scent lock" (Hey, isn't that an old tv commercial?) I giggle to myself.
That's what I was thinking. Unless you're dead you're going to give some scent to alerta deer downwind. I have a very strict scent control program myself. Actually to the point of over obsessive. That being said I still don't think it matters. A deer (especially mature buck) will wind you downwind. I believe all the scent control in the world is simply minimizing your odor by a certain percentage and will never eliminate it all together. Just impossible IMO.

Definantly would have pointed to tube off to the side to try and fool him though.
I've read where you said this before. What's the deal with that?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Im not saying a deer cant smell me, I understand the 3 senses a deer uses is far greater than that of a humans. Though I dont wear a Scent Lok suit or any fancy garments, I do try to keep my clothes free of human odors from around the house and vehicle as much as possible. But again, I have confidence in my routine and if Im winded, then I am, but I get over it and try to continue to hunt. rubber boots, fresh earth detergent, fresh earth cover spray, and a good thorough shower in a good soap will help you tremendously. If I had a deer at 150 yds away and downwind, I would grunt to him or use a "can" on him to try and bring him in if I felt he was a shooter, no questions asked. Thats the fun and beauty of this sport that I love, matching my game plan to that of a very keen and smart animal. Sometimes you win and sometimes you dont.

Quick Reply: Grunting with a buck downwind...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.