Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shortest distance to recover your deer? >

Shortest distance to recover your deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shortest distance to recover your deer?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 AM

Default RE: Shortest distance to recover your deer?

Had 5 or 6 0ver the years go down with spine shots on the spot. Had a bull caribou go down on impact with a spine shot this October. One of the more memorable ones that died only 5 yards after impact was an 8 point that was feeding on acorns my way, at 15 yards,I double lunged him, the buck jumped straight up and landed back on his feet, looked around confused and then, get this, started eating acorns again. I could see him pouring out of both sides, he then tries to lick the exit hole and instead, just tipped over right there. After a brief struggle on the ground, gave it up. that one brought a tear to my eye, well maybe not [&o]. Food for tought on this thread, if you want a short tracking job with the highest percent of a short recovery,take the double lung every time, Think hard about what broadhead your useing, I don't want my arrow blowing through both sides of a whitetails rib cage and the burying it'self 6 inces into the ground. If you have that much WASTED KE, then you need to consider a larger cutting broadhead, remember if you move up from a 1 inch cut to an 1 1/2 inch cut on a 3 blade, you cut 21 inhces MORE of tissue, thats a ton more hemorrageing and a lot shorter blood trail. Don't get me wrong here, I want my arrow passing through rib cage for sure, but I want that extra unused Kinetic Energy to cut tissue and not rock, dirt and trees.This is why guys like the Drury boys shoot the biggest mechanicals their rigs can handle. Do the same and your blood trails will get markedly shorter. DFA
Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 AM

The first buck I killed was an 11 point and he went 20 yards and died. He was double lunged. The 2nd buck 2 days later jumped the string badly and I hit him right in the rump but the arrow criscrossed his body and came out his front shoulder. He died very close too.

But last year I was in a tree stand and the arrow hit my 8 pointer 33 yards away in what would have been a 12 ring shot on a 3d target at a down angle and the arrow exited out his spine on the top!!! The deer made a sound like a linebacker hit him andwas flipped overon his back with all 4 feet in the air.
I have no clue how that happened but the deer was DRT. I have never seen anything like it ever. Not even a rifle hit has ever flipped a deer over on to his back like that.
Talk about KE.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've spined a few and dropped them in their tracks, shortest heart shot was about 40 yards