Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shortest distance to recover your deer? >

Shortest distance to recover your deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shortest distance to recover your deer?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shortest distance to recover your deer?

What's the shortest recovery you've ever had from point of impact to dead deer? I shot a big doe a few days ago that went22 yards from where my arrow was. It was a double lung and just nipped the heart. She didnt' really bolt out of there. She just hopped about 20 yards away , stopped, and fell over. She was actually in another shooting lane at that time and I could see the blood pumping out. Not sure if that was my shortest or not (with a bow), but it's the shortest I can remember in a long time.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shortest distance to recover your deer?

A small buck I shot last year fell in sight. He went about 30 yds and fell over.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

Mine was about 16 yrds. Pretty much just dropped in her tracks! I usually try and wait until they are pointed at my truck before I take the shot...Ha!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 AM
Bartender

30 yards
Giant Nontypical

my story is about the same as yours. double lunger, took everything off the top of the heart and passed right through..went 20 yards, stopped, looked around, tipped over dead. 21yd shot. i was surprised at the lack of a blood trail though...i tried back trailing to find my arrow. very sparse and only the last couple yards he went...but he was FULL inside...another second or 2 and it would been flowing like a river for sure..just never filled up to the holes...

i hope all my deer shot with a bow drop within sight...i dont like tracking deer, even if they are hit well.
Dominant Buck

I have had several drop where I shot them. My two most memerable was one time I had momma and her two little ones. I shot momma she dropped and the little ones stayed right there. I shot the first little one and he bolted with the other one right behind. About 5 mins later he came back so I shot him too.

Another time I had a little six point. I drilled him and he jumped when hit but then went right back to eating. He fell over about 30 secs or so later.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot a doe, last year at 7 yds. First shot literally pinned her to the ground. She went 0 yds. I ended up shooting her2 times in a short few seconds.

Story is here...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1797824&mpage=1&key=ashley&# 1797824
Old 10-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

One fell on the spot due to spine shot but for a lung or heart shot about 20yds
Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Other than spine shots. 5 yds. It was a 10 yd shot, he went 5 yds sideways, i think he was about 12 yds from my tree when it was all said and done.

This was a perfect double lung, he just didn't run away at the shot.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 AM

About, 15 yards. The first one I ever killed w/ a bow, actually. I put a horrible shot on her, went in just above the spine and came out her back thigh. But I cut both the femoral artery and the one that runs down their back, and blood was squirting everwhere. She went down pretty fast.

Quick Reply: Shortest distance to recover your deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.