Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Average travel distance of deer you have shot >

Average travel distance of deer you have shot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Average travel distance of deer you have shot

Old 07-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Average travel distance of deer you have shot

Just wondering how far your deer normally run when shot. I've been bowhunting since the early 80's and (not bragging) have been lucky enough to kill over 30 deer with my bow. I have missed oodles, and lost one due to a bad hit.

You may call me a liar, I can take it...BUT I have only had 5 deer that I can think of run out of sight before falling. One went a country mile, because I screwed up...and a couple others made a death sprint before expiring.

I'm no Daniel Boone...I guess I'm just luckier than crap. I'll take it.LOL
Old 07-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Average travel distance of deer you have shot

Spined a few that dropped in their tracks.
Heart shot a few that went less than 20 yards.
double lunged a few that went anywhere from 20 to 100 yards and even had one that I hit one lung and the liver that went almost a mile, I shot too far back and it was a slight quartering to me shot.
Pretty hard to make and average when I have that one long one in there but take him away and they would average 50-60 yards.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every bow-killed deer I tagged I either watched it drop or heard it crash within 50-60yds.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shortest.....fell over dead in his tracks
Longest......about 80 yards on a death run.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be throwing out a wild guess if I gave an average distance. I've had deer get shot through both lungs , trot for a few steps , stop and look around , start quivering and fall within 10 ft of where they were shot. I've double lunged deer who took off like a bat out of hell and ran for 100 yds before piling up. I've watched countless deer fall within eye sight from double lung and heart shots and I've also spent some time on my hands and knees looking for blood from heart shot deer that went anywhere from 50 yards to 150 yards.

When I judge how far a deer goes after the shot I measure the exact route the deer takes , not the distance between the point of impact and the expiring point via a straight line. I cant really recall any that took off in a straight line and expired leaving my yardage estimation easy. Most of them either make a big loop or zig zag around , they may end up 50 yards from point of impact but they travelled 100 yards to get there.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

30 yards,but then I dont shoot at anything over 20 yards and only the best shot as far as position
Old 07-16-2004, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what the average is, I have all my kills recorded, but i never averaged the distance. I hunt really thick areas so few fall within sight for me. My shortest trail from a non-spine shot was 20 yds, and my longest was a 600 yd trail from hell. Generally they are 40-70 yds.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I had to make an educated guess I would say my average is about 50 yards....I can't know for certain though.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:02 AM

Most of my kills haven't made 80 yards. I seems more often then not they crash just after getting out of sight. Besides the crunch,crunch,crunch of deer walking, the sound of a deer pileing up is about my second favorite sound when hunting.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:00 AM

I'd guess at the most mine have gone 50-100 yards out of sight and expired. I could hear them crash when out of sight. I have also had others shot in their tracks, watched them wobble and cave right at the spot of impact.

Quick Reply: Average travel distance of deer you have shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.