Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Has this ever happend to you? >

Has this ever happend to you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has this ever happend to you?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Has this ever happend to you?

Something happend on Saturday to me and it made me wonder how common this really is....
I went out last Saturday for the last day of Marylands early doe only blackpowder season. I was in a stand about 20 ft up in a thicket when 4 deer appeared out of no where. A nice doe worked her way to only 7 yards from me when I took the shot. Because of the angle, I believe i skimmed the lung and definitley hit the heart. I was amazed with what I saw and how tough these animals are......I use 100 grains of Triple 7 with a 300grain Shockwave bullet and the doe was only 75lbs field dressed so she wasn't massive or anything. Anyway, after the shot she runs 10 yards and just stands there. I thought I may have missed since the shot was so close and then she turned a bit and you can see blood shooting out of her side like someone just turned a hose on. She still stood there looking around for about 30 more seconds and then just tipped over! Never kicked or moved once she hit the ground, she basicall died right there on her feet.
I've taken 6 deer with the bow and never had anything like this happen although my buddy says its not uncommon in archery because of the silence of the bow and the razor sharp broadheads. Does anyone have any similar stories like this with either archery or firearm?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 AM

Default RE: Has this ever happend to you?

i have a doe kill on video that i killed with a bow that i shot dead broadside at 20 yards. The deer just kinda stood there for probably a minute and a half or so and then walked about 20 yards and layed down and died. The blood trail was amazing. I was using mechanicals and they were gator xp that "slide around bone" and i think since it didnt break her ribs or anything she wasnt real sure what was going on. in fact her fawn when she layed down came up to her and was smelling her face. Yes it was hard to watch
Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting. One doe I got with a complete pass thru ran back into the thicket about 30 yards and then it got silent. Next thing I know she comes charging out of the thicket back towards me and dropped right next to the arrown where she was hit. I know what you mean about it being hard to watch when there's a little one near by too. This doe had a button buck and a doe fawn about 20 yards from her when i shot. After the shot they just stood under my tree looking at the doe I hit. After she fell they started walking towards her and just stared before turning and walking away. I much rather they would of took off after the shot....
Old 10-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, .50cal. Thats why I was so shocked when she actually ran those 10-15 yards. I figured either she'd drop from the impact alone since it was so close, or run 50+ yards like every other deer I've gotten. She seriously went those 10-15 yards and just stood there looking around and then just tipped over and didn't move after that. She almost went down like a "fainting goat" if you've ever seen one of them on tv. Still amazed
Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Usually with a bow you kill them by bleeding to death. With a gun, they are killed by shock of the bullet and of course the shot. But when you see a deer just standing like that it's because they are in shock. They aren't sure exactly what happen. With a bow they know because the bow doesn't penetrate the deer as fast as a bullet (so they aren't shocked by the inital penetration of the arrow).
Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is really rare for a gun hit.Never heard of that, I have taken many deer with a .50 and theygenerally take off on a sprint that doesnt last long.

it is common with a bow and really sharp heads though. My greatest harvest with a bow was similar, I shot a decent buck through the top of the heart and both lungs....he did not even twitch when he got hit, walked 10 yards, took maybe 5 seconds to do it, and then tipped over. That is what made it so great....it literally never knew anything was wrong.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: stevezt4

in fact her fawn when she layed down came up to her and was smelling her face. Yes it was hard to watch
I would have had a hard time with that also... I may not be the most ethical hunter out there by some peoples standards (though I consider myself to be ethical nonetheless), but this is a situation that would bother me greatly... I won't take a doe early in the season because of the possibility of this happening to me...

as for the original post, never seen anything like that in my life... my weirdest was one year i was on the ground when i took my gun shot (a close one at about 60yds) and the deer took off running right at me, he wasn't charging or anything, it was just kinda strange as he fell not 20 ft from where I shot...
Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 PM

I have had an experience close to this one. I once shot a doe at about 40 yards with a 50lb draw wt bow. perfect shot, heart and lungs, but the arrow didn't pass through. it was sticking out both sides. the deer walked about 30 yards into the wheat field from the river and stood there looking right at me for about 2 or 3 minutes and then slowly fell and died.