Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Here is what happend to me >

Here is what happend to me

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Here is what happend to me

Old 04-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Here is what happend to me

We got out and I used the locater call. Nothing. Walked on and then heard one gobble. Went and set up where he was gobbling loud. (The only problem was there was a little creek in between us) Well He kept on gobbling and getting closer to my calling. But he started gobbling a long ways off. So I figured he was leaving. So me and my papa got up and made a circe where we would cut him off so he wouldn't get very far from us. About 30 min later He started gobling exactly where we were sitting before we moved. [:@] We moved back to about 100 yards from him. I got him to gobble again. Moved up some more and sit down. Got him gobbling again. This time it was about 40 or 50 yards away. Got him gobbling some more. Got my gun to my shoulder just waiting for him to step out into the opening where I could see cause there was quite a bit of cover around. Gobbled again. And after that last gobble, I never heard from him again.

Lesson: Stay put cause he is probably just circuling around to get to you.
Also heard 3 more gobble but were a ways off so I thought I would just stay with this one. Maybe luck next time

Just thought I would tell ya

Trappe_Hunter(Colby)
Old 04-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Here is what happend to me

dont you just love turkey huntin'
Old 04-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trapper_ Hunter are you sure you were turkey hunting or were you just playing "musical chairs"?

Don't feel bad I must have done that a thousand times and probably will do it a thousand more.[]
Old 04-19-2004, 03:33 PM

Same thing happened to me the other day trapper. Just gotta keep at it.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:36 PM
cj5

dont believe everything you hear and read about turkey behavior. when i took my son on his first youth hunt i called in a tom that went through a fence and crossed a creek to get to my set up, and the so called experts say turkeys will never do that, dont under or over estimate these crazy birds cuz you never know what they are gonna do, just go with your gut instinct and learn from your experiences..better luck next time!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the feeling. It happens all the time.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:26 PM

story of my life trapper...
Old 04-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, HOpefully I will get one sooner or l8er. The hard part if I am the one that is calling and everything. And all that my papa wears out in the woods are a pair of Dark pants a black shirt and a army camo jacket. But at least we are trying.

Thanks,
Colby
Old 04-20-2004, 12:27 PM

Ive been turkey hunting for 20+ years and just about every day out hunting I say "I shouldve stayed there, or I shouldve moved on him, shouldve called softer, shoudve called more aggressive, shouldve gotten closer to the roost, shoudve stayed farther from the roost, and so on.
What works one day doesnt always work another. But you're right in that you shoudve stayed put. If a bird is gobbling and coming to you and then shuts up, he is proballly still on the way. Or the hens have intercepted him. Ive found that staying put is usually the best bet.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:54 PM

sounds like you have some options for a birthday or christmas present! My dad doesn't like presents really and doesnt care to get them but If he does...he loves hunting related items. Pick up your pops some regular ol denim camo pants...you can get them from cabelas for like 20 bucks. But I tell you, i think it makes a HUGE difference...my buddy who i was hunting with on his property had never turkey hunted...he wore black pants the first 2 times....spooked the hell out of the birds...finally, trying to be nice i convinced him to get some camo (he got hooked on turkey hunting) and now they come in great. good luck in the future