Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

road kill deer

Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default road kill deer

when i got home from my hunt . my parents told me a family friend saw a deer that was hit early this morning.

My mom called the sherriff about claiming it and they said they had a list you get on. When someone hits a deer and if it is not to bad they call you and you can come get itand butcher it.

the one shot this morning was killed to early and left untill 11.30 wheni got home and it was 70 then so it was to hot and to late for it . from what i was told it was a nice 8 point or biggerbuck dam shame it got hit a car

has anyone got on a list like that and got deer that were hit.

If so what was the meat like and would you do it again.

I hada uncle as a kind that got them from the list for car hits and he got them all the time.

would you take one that was hit if it was not to late after it was hit
Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 PM

Default RE: road kill deer

i had a buddy one time get the bright idea to put one of those "transport rack things" that you put in your reciever hitch on the front of his truck. his theory was when he hits the deer, the rack will break its legs out from under it, and the grill guard to the head will kill it, all without having to get out of his truck.....some people[>:]

....redneck fast food
Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

i had a friend acutely the one who called us hit a doe a few months ago and wonted her to eat. he has five kids and needs every bit of food he can get. The copsaid he couldnot haveit .because it had to be destroyed by the road dept. for safety reasons. Well an hour later when he drove back by to go home he saw the cop with another guy picking it up .

I toldhim all he had to do was get a road kill tag and he could take it .

my mom had them put me on the list so maybe there call me.

my uncle was on it when i was a kid and he got 12one year because he worked for thecity and was number oneon the list and truth be known he was properly the only one on the list Lol
ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

when i got home from my hunt . my parents told me a family friend saw a deer that was hit early this morning.

My mom called the sheriff about claiming it and they said they had a list you get on. When someone hits a deer and if it is not to bad they call you and you can come get it and butcher it.

the one shot this morning was killed to early and left until 11.30 when got home and it was 70 then so it was to hot and to late for it . from what i was told it was a nice 8 point or biggerbuck dam shame it got hit a car

has anyone got on a list like that and got deer that were hit.

If so what was the meat like and would you do it again.

I hada uncle as a kind that got them from the list for car hits and he got them all the time.

would you take one that was hit if it was not to late after it was hit
Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I talked to a friend of mine and he said when he lived in another state hehad his nameon the "Call List" if someone hit a deer,he ended up with 3 deer one year!

When someone hits a deer on our roadthey are suppose to call the Sheriff's Dept or Game Warden and report it....I hit a young 6-point Buck 2 years ago and after it expired I threw it in the back of my Suburban,drove it into town and filed a report with the Sheriff's Dept,they checked the deer for injuries other than a vehicle and then filled out a paper for me to have it processed.

Note:
If you ever hit a deer on the road don't go get a gun or shoot it if you have a gun in your vehicle,either cut its throat,wait for someone from the Sheriff's Dept. to show up to shoot itor wait for it to die.If you shoot it they will think your out Poaching and you could lose the option of keeping the deer. [:@]
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would cut its throat or hit it with a tire iron or the butt of a gun
Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 PM

why not just back up real quick??
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 PM

I was on the list once...all I ever got were the tractor-trailer hits...talk about tender meat. LOL
Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Dominant Buck

If you want it, grab it. LOL I've seen some pretty messed up road kills I wouldn't want to mess with.