Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Road kill

Old 02-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Road kill

This was way too strange not to share!

Waste not...
Ask Sophia Johnson for her baked orzo recipe and she'll give a coy smile. "First," she'll say, "some car has to hit a deer." One morning in January, some car did. At 7:20 a.m., Mark Johnson got the call: A young doe had been killed on Hwy. 62 in southwest Minnetonka. Did he want it?
Mark Johnson is one of 25 Minnetonka residents who have signed up to get these calls -- any day, any time. When he first joined the police department's "dead deer list" about eight years ago, the calls made him anxious.
"Late at night or early morning, from the Minnetonka Police Department, three kids out of the house," he said. "You think a kid has done something awful."
Now the calls excite him.
For his January deer, he was on the scene within minutes. By 7:36 a.m., an officer had issued him a DNR deer possession permit.
An hour later, the deer was strung up by its hind legs in his garage.
He affectionately calls his garage "the crime scene." Before opening its door, he looks both ways for neighborhood kids. Seeing none, he pushes it open. A small doe hangs wide, dripping blood on the concrete floor.
Had Johnson not picked up the deer, it might have ended up in another resident's garage.
The deer was in good shape -- "I would venture to say that it was hit on its rump," Johnson allowed -- and police first try to give such roadkill to volunteers. If the carcass had been more badly beat up, they'd have called a contractor to pick it up at a cost of $95.
But giving the deer to the person who hit it or a resident who has volunteered to pick it up is the best and cheapest option, said Jeff Sebenaler, Minnetonka's captain of patrol services.
Others do the same
In 2006, the department issued nine deer possession permits to residents for deer hit by vehicles. One of those deer was also picked up by the Johnsons.
Two were collected by Ernest DeBoer. The retired Wayzata resident once hunted to bag his deer, but after two replaced knees, "now I have to stick to roadkill," he said.
Few people know how long Minnetonka has offered deer to residents, but DeBoer offers the best guess: more than 19 years, which is how long he's been on the list.
DeBoer processes each deer, dressing it in his backyard. He makes venison hamburgers for his kids, and jerky for his grandkids. "It's important that people like me take these deer and do something with them," he said. "It'd be a shame to waste all that good meat."
Plymouth and Maple Grove have deer pickup programs that are similar to Minnetonka's, if less formal. Some cities, such as White Bear Lake, bring dead deer to a nearby game preserve instead, where wolves eat them. And each county handles the animals that die on their county roads differently.
Most other cities don't have a formal system.
Chaska had only two deer killed on its city streets in 2006, and it was able to pass the deer off to "somebody we know or somebody at work," said Tim Wiebe, public works superintendent. "It's very informal when it does happen."
The cities that have lists don't have a name for them, nor do they advertise their existence. People sign up through word of mouth.
DeBoer got on the Minnetonka list after seeing a deer on the road near his house and asking a police officer if he could help out the department by picking it up.
An informal network
Choosing whom to call on the list can also be a pretty informal process. Mark Johnson is almost superstitious about it. He's never said no to taking a deer, afraid that if he does, he'll be moved down on the list. And he always hurries to the scene, afraid that if an officer has to wait too long, he'll be passed over next time.
And deciding whether to call a volunteer is also a less-than-scientific process.
Plymouth Community Service Officer Supervisor James Long asked two of his officers and found that one very seldom calls volunteers from the list, while the other, Corrine Birkholz, calls 90 percent of the time.
Birkholz's family hunts deer, so that helps her to "know which carcasses will be picked up and which will not," she said.
When one person can't take a deer, he or she might have an idea of who else to call. "It becomes this little group of people who you kind of get to know," she said.
DeBoer and Mark Johnson see each other three times a week at the health club. They talk about their latest roast, remember that year when DeBoer got 10 deer, and "reminisce over sausages," DeBoer said.
Like DeBoer, Mark and Sophia Johnson process the meat themselves. But unlike DeBoer, they were never hunters.
"I'm an instinctive fish cleaner, as I think all people of Swedish descent are, but when I first joined the list, I had never done a deer," Mark Johnson said.
His first attempts were bloody.
So he and Sophia found a video at the library, asked friends for advice, and became experts. The January deer was so young that they were able to get some meat from the bones using nothing more than a spoon.
The word "roadkill" is deceiving, they say. Actually the deer they process can be preferable to those shot in the woods.
Deer killed in the north woods and harnessed to a truck for hours can't beat deer fed on "rosebuds and corn" in Minnetonka, Mark Johnson said.
"Yeah, you might have to deal with a dent in the rump roast," he said. "But beyond that, it's the finest meat you'll find."

Old 02-20-2007, 07:06 PM

Default RE: Road kill

Whats so strange with a small box with a red X in it?!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Nothing but a red X doesn't tell you if there is slab of lab or shepard pie in it! LOL!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Nothing but a red X doesn't tell you if there is slab of lab or shepard pie in it! LOL!
Not to mention maybe some Weasel!!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's nasty but i actualy make sausage the right way.

saturday we made 560 pounds of sausage. from grinding it up, seasoning it, mixing it, putting it in the cases, to hanging the links in the smoke house. it's hard work but the payoff is great!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:14 PM

No red X? JK, LOL! The first time I tried to load it I was shown the famous red X box, but now it comes up. Our county has a list like that also for people that want to pick up a pre-tenderized deer! I think our county last year had close to 500 road kills but not sure.Some people like to do it, but sometimes they say a deer that looked fine was all mashed and bruised inside and the work is notworth the meat, but sometimes it looks great. Two guys at work do it all the time.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:39 PM

ok, ive done it......i had this lady pass me in tha backwoods of Conroe,Tx, going on darkfall, she was flyin down tha road, well she was still in my line of sight.she came around this bend and whamoooooooo, lil 6 pt. went flyin off the top of her new mazda sports car, SO ME BEING THE GENTLEMANthat i am, i stopped to make sure she was ok, cos for some reason she jus came to a strechin halt.......(wonder why), well i parked in front of her and walked up, this HOTTTTTT a$$ lady was all shook up, so i evaluated the condition of her car she had 1 smashed windsheild, 1 hood that had to be fixed, and a big a$$ crunch on the roof of her new car..so i politly asked her mam, u gonna take that deer..... I THOUGHT THIS LADY WAS GONNA PUKE,.........I ATE GOOD FOR BOUT 3 WEEKS OFF THAT DEER
Old 02-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here if you hit a deer you can take it if you call the sheriff and they come out for a report or you just take it because your drunk and dont want to call the sheriff.
Same with a cow if you make it thru hitting it,most farmers wont claim it because of insurance...But if its taged you can sue the farmer for damages.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:21 AM

hell i would walk up and thank the farmer for tha steaks..........
Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

My father in law is on the local list, gets a couple deer a year that way.

Quick Reply: Road kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.