Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Road kill

Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Road kill

My wife and i were just headed into town in the car. For some reason took the back roads. Came around a curve and there layed a nice fresh road kill deer. I stopped popped open the trunk and up pulled a depty sheriff. He said i could have it not problem. Just then the township road crew drove up. Of whom i know all of them. KBI-Prez works with them. They wanted to know if i wanted it and if so where. So they loaded it up in the pick up and not in the back of my car. It was stinking already. So they delivered it to my house, i pulled it out into the back field with ATV. So it is staked down and ready for coyotes to come calling. pictures to follow. Pictures of dead coyotes that is.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Road kill

[:'(][:'(][:'(]Wow Johnny B...for a minute there I thought you were going to tell me you were gonna try and eat em!!![:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, not ready to eat road kill yet. My buddy Al called and needed help to load a road kill into his trailer. So bad day for coyotes.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

I've eaten a few road kill. One was hit at the end of my driveway - we heard the screech and when we went to see what it was, it was pretty obvious. Fresher than most bow-killed deer, and hit in the head, too. Another one my mom hit, and another was hit right at the entrance to my kids daycare, back in the day when they needed that sort of thing. The truck that hit it, and a cop that responded, were still there. I asked the cop and he said to take her away. There are probably others too, that I can't remember. Merri hit a really big 8-point on the way back from Illinois at Christmas a couple years ago, and we were packed in with no place to put any meat. I would have loved to pull the backstraps off that one at least. I still have both antlers, which broke off on impact. My wife's first buck!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

I used to eat lots of roadkills. Up in the 'burbsdeer get knocked off left and right during the fall. I had a police scanner (10-50 car vs. deer) and when there was one within a couple miles I would go pick it up. (provided it wasn't all mangled) I even had an electric winch mounted to the bed of my truck and a smooth ramp the deer would slide up.

My sister came with me a couple times. You can picture it. Two young women (it was awhile ago!) standing next to a truck parked on the shoulder of the road. A dead deer with a cable around it's neck slowly being dragged up into an old pickup truck. Cars zipped by, but we could still catch the bewildered looks on people's faces.

It was really cheap and tasty burger.

My mom started introducing me to her friends as, "This is my daughter, she eats roadkills". [:-] [:-]

K and Idid pick up one roadkilled deer last year. We fed it to the dogs.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

You are a marvelous woman, Christine. You keep proving it to me. My sweetie is a good one, and I count myself mighty lucky;she helps out with this kind of thing.... but she never would have thought of it before she got hitched to me.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Best deer I ever ate was hit just a couple blocks from my home. If I don't know how fresh it is, though, I won't touch it.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I used to eat lots of roadkills. Up in the 'burbs deer get knocked off left and right during the fall. I had a police scanner (10-50 car vs. deer) and when there was one within a couple miles I would go pick it up. (provided it wasn't all mangled) I even had an electric winch mounted to the bed of my truck and a smooth ramp the deer would slide up.

My sister came with me a couple times. You can picture it. Two young women (it was awhile ago!) standing next to a truck parked on the shoulder of the road. A dead deer with a cable around it's neck slowly being dragged up into an old pickup truck. Cars zipped by, but we could still catch the bewildered looks on people's faces.

It was really cheap and tasty burger.

My mom started introducing me to her friends as, "This is my daughter, she eats roadkills". [:-] [:-]

K and I did pick up one roadkilled deer last year. We fed it to the dogs.

Man Christine! You belong down here in Texas!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well got the ole Fire pole warmed up today a couple of times. First dropped a crow at 156 yds out in my back field. Then this afternoon just happened to look out the kitchen window and there was a coyote trying to seen a snack. Dropped him at 210 yds. Again right out the kitchen window. Not to see if I can post the pictures.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another view.