Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NJ Deer Road Kill >

NJ Deer Road Kill

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NJ Deer Road Kill

Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default NJ Deer Road Kill

Let's say you're driving down a NJ road and there is a fresh killed deer.
The state is not responsible for picking it up, who will?
Is it your responsibility to get a road kill permit to harvest that deer?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NJ Deer Road Kill

why would you want to.. chances are the good portions of the meat are so badly bruised you can't eat it
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is it your responsibility to get a road kill permit to harvest that deer?
After you pick up the deer you are supposed to go to the nearest police station or Conservation office and they will issue you a free tag to posses the deer. The meat must be consumed within 30 days and you are not allowed to keep any headgear.
It's all in the digest.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

why would you want to.. chances are the good portions of the meat are so badly bruised you can't eat it
I had picked one up one year up here that had run into the back of a trailer truck. The only thing that was wrong with it was a broken neck and a gamewarden had to come shoot it.. That one sure tasted good..
Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 PM

I saw one get killed yesterday driving south on 95 I think just south of maybe Exit 8 down towards Bordentown. It came across our lanes about 100 yards ahead of me, jumped the median and one its way down met a car at 80mph and the deer did cartwheels in the air about 20 feet or so high!! It was crazy. I saw glass or plastic from maybe the headlights shatter in the area. And people don't want you to hunt deer in NJ...go figure. I bet that person wish there had been none that day. Plus as I'm driving I'm pointing out all the does to my wife along the road at 1:30 in the afternoon.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

[blockquote]quote:

why would you want to.. chances are the good portions of the meat are so badly bruised you can't eat it [/blockquote]
I had picked one up one year up here that had run into the back of a trailer truck. The only thing that was wrong with it was a broken neck and a gamewarden had to come shoot it.. That one sure tasted good..
No time for fishing this year!! But the wife likes my checks.

Can't beat free deer.
Not much time for hunting and fishing, but my son, myself and my wife like her big checks.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, you need a permit to possess the deer for consumption only. My question is, What are you supposed to do with the antlers if its a buck? Thepolice officer that gave you the possession permit probably won't know what to do with them either.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

We know you can't posses the antlers. Do you think the police have an antler saw in the trunk?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've picked up 1 deer that had been hit, and that will be the last deer that I pick up ! The meat was soooo bruised that I had to stop and cut her down and dispose of her. Wasn't worth my time.

Quick Reply: NJ Deer Road Kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.