Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 using calls to attract deer >

using calls to attract deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

using calls to attract deer

Old 10-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default using calls to attract deer

will using certain calls, ie. doe bleats, fawn bleats, grunts, rattling, etc. bring in deer when you cant see them? i mean, i have always heard these different calls being used to bring in deer that a hunter can see, but maybve they just need those extra 30 yards to get a shot. is it worth trying a fawn or doe bleat if you arent seeing any deer and are trying to attract some of the deer to your stand? thanks alot
Old 10-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: using calls to attract deer

That's what I refer to as blind calling. I don't like to blind call deer. I usually only ever call deer that I see so that I can get a visual on what they are doing and telling me either by coming or body language.

Blind calling can produce sightings tho. Let's say you have a buck 100 yards out that you don't see. If you happen to call when he's coming by and turns to investigate and gives you a shot you wouldn't otherwise have had. However, too much blind calling can educate your deer before you know it as well. Deer can point exactly where a call comes from especially if they have their ears locked on your location when calling. They can come right to the tree and catch you before you catch them.

Often too, many deer especially mature deer will circle downwind of your calling location to first investigate with their noses. They will bust you without you ever seeing them.

I'd "blind" call very sparesly and always be paying very close attention moments afterwards.

Again, I only like to call when I visually see deer to read them.

Here's a interesting article from the field journals that I found here on HNI. http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=403
Old 10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

excellent info, thanks alot rob. ill take a look at that article also.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

oll yea. that article is perfect. thanks again bud