HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - using calls to attract deer
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: using calls to attract deer

That's what I refer to as blind calling. I don't like to blind call deer. I usually only ever call deer that I see so that I can get a visual on what they are doing and telling me either by coming or body language.

Blind calling can produce sightings tho. Let's say you have a buck 100 yards out that you don't see. If you happen to call when he's coming by and turns to investigate and gives you a shot you wouldn't otherwise have had. However, too much blind calling can educate your deer before you know it as well. Deer can point exactly where a call comes from especially if they have their ears locked on your location when calling. They can come right to the tree and catch you before you catch them.

Often too, many deer especially mature deer will circle downwind of your calling location to first investigate with their noses. They will bust you without you ever seeing them.

I'd "blind" call very sparesly and always be paying very close attention moments afterwards.

Again, I only like to call when I visually see deer to read them.

Here's a interesting article from the field journals that I found here on HNI. http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=403