Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spine hit

Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Spine hit

I spined one last year. I also shot it three times in record time. if its' still moving and in range.....I keep shooting.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 AM

I spined a doe when she jumped the string a couple years ago she rolled into a creek which soon turned crimson. She was laying on a rock thrashing about, so I didnt shoot her again. I eased up and put my knife through her heart. I didnt really know what to do. I didnt want to cut her throat. That seems to me to be inhuman. I just couldnt bring myself to do that to an animal. But I didnt want to ruin another arrow either. She died within a matter of seconds after I stabbed her. Im still not proud of it, but I did all that I thought I could do to end it quickly.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

I've spined critters before and just finish them off with another shot. Whenever I fill my tag, I take a few minutes to reflect and give "Thanks."

Spine shooting a deer doesn't bother me, trailing a wounded animal and not recovering it, THAT bothers me.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I finished one with a knife once. Not the simple throat slice either. It was more like a freaky killer primate murdering a deer in the woods with a knife. I'm pretty sure I was even yelling, but can't say for sure. Kind of a blur... He was tough, and put up a good fight. It was a life changing experience for me.
At first I was uneasy about it, later I accepted it. Now I'm looking forward to doing it again.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Bad shots are made.I kiilled one Buck with Spine shot.I don't have a problem with it.

Like I say bad shots are made,don't try to but they are.I made two last year.One was gut shot and the othe was the Hams (don't ask) both deer were recoverd.

big rockpile