Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spine hit

Old 10-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Spine hit

I dont want to turn this thread into some cheesy, achy breaky confession, but I have a question. I spined a cull buck Saturday Morning, as some of you already know, this kind of hit usually drops em in thier tracks...but it doesnt kill them. I finished him off with a second arrow.

I wont get into the details of the kill but I have to admitt though, that wasnt pleasant or even rewarding for me to say the least.

Up until now, I have enjoyed quick clean kills

I was wondering to those that have expierienced that "kind" of Kill what your thoughts were if any?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spine hit

I have spined a couple of deer over the years - quickly dispatch the animal and i was fine - the deer was dead in seconds
Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 PM

i'll admit (so that others can learn from my mistakes) that i "spined" a buck (in the base of the neck)last year, which was my first year bowhunting, and that was my first buck. well due to lack of experiance i thought he was dead/dying. well he wasnt and through a series of stand ups and fall downs he finally ran off before i could shoot him again. im about 75% sure he lived though, because a few hrs. later we spooked him and he had a big hemotoma on his neck, and he ran off like nothing was wrong. so....my advice to everone else that doesnt want to feel completly horrible - take your time, and dont rush your shot!!!

p.s. i leave the bloody arrow in my bowcase to remind me to take my time everytime i open my case
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Brknarrow1970

I have spined a couple of deer over the years - quickly dispatch the animal and i was fine - the deer was dead in seconds
Same here, it's happened afew times through the years. Just finish the animal off as quickly as possible with a second arrow.

Spining can happen from many dirrerent "wrong" scenarios. Although in my case I've tried to lower my tree stands to about20-25 ft. I used to hunt at 30ft. in some trees when I was younger and I think it presented alot of bad angles which led to this at times.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

not to be mean or be rude. but i would feel so bad if i were to ever do that. i sure hope that it never happens to a deer i shoot or people im with. i can't stand to see things suffer
Old 10-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It can happen with guns too even on a well placed shot. I saw a buddy of mine shoot at a deer with a 35 Rem and hit it perfect. The bullet ricochet off a rib headed straight up and broke the spine. This very large doe (biggest I ever saw) was still alive when we walked up on her.

The rest is gory and not one of my favorite stories.

Another similar story that can speak to the "food" nature of farmers is, my uncle shot a running deer but hit it in the spine. The deer was still alive when we walked up to it. We were accompanied by a farmer buddy of ours who over sees the land when we aren't there. Before we could do or say anthing the farmer was already gutting it. Pretty damn viscious those farmers are.

Tom
Old 10-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Point is to kill the deer, you did that, sometimes it goes nice and sometimes not.

Don't sweat it.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i spined the first buck i ever shot wit the bow.

hit a branch and it deflected high. dipatched him with another arrow.

horrible feeling, but you gotta put it behind you and just concentrate on every shot.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:06 PM
bigcountry

Everytime I shoot a deer and watch it die, (if I see it fall in my view) I feel for it, and hate that it suffers. But then I think about what God told us. They are there for us to eat.

Even a well placed double lung, it takes a while for them to completely die. At least a spine shot, you have the opportunity to cut its throat put another arrow in quickly.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:07 PM

Watch a video of a wolf killing something like a moose. Watching the brutality of nature makes me realize just how humane hunting is, even when little things go wrong like you talk about here. At least your deer was dead in a few seconds.

Quick Reply: Spine hit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.