Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 deer Processing. >

deer Processing.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer Processing.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: deer Processing.

I'm a poor college student/dad/husband I love to hunt but really can't afford to butcher a deer. I also don't have a place to butcher my own like i used too. So now I will probablydonate the deer to Hunters for Hunger at the local butcher.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM

I get regular cuts and a few steaks and get the head caped out for $55.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:30 PM

i took mine to a shop that charged about 100$ after everything was done. then after i founda twist tie in my suasage i stop going there and did it myself for about 5 years. last year i had to take mine somewhere because i didnt have the time to do it. i found a guy that does it for 40$ no matter what i want its just 40$ he even does european mounts at no extra charge! cant beat that. OH! and the meat was amazing and everything was clean, no hair, no twist ties lol, no bone fragments, just great meat! and the best part, it was my deer, not someone elses! i imagine i will take it to this guy for a while!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: nwpahntr

i took mine to a shop that charged about 100$ after everything was done. then after i founda twist tie in my suasage i stop going there and did it myself for about 5 years. last year i had to take mine somewhere because i didnt have the time to do it. i found a guy that does it for 40$ no matter what i want its just 40$ he even does european mounts at no extra charge! cant beat that. OH! and the meat was amazing and everything was clean, no hair, no twist ties lol, no bone fragments, just great meat! and the best part, it was my deer, not someone elses! i imagine i will take it to this guy for a while!
Yah its hard to find good butchers these days, the guy we have been goin to for years to get our sausage and jerky and pepperoni done closed his shop up last year and retired and we tried this new place and they are cheap and we also get great service and quality meat but we take all our meat already prepared but still great service.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I was paying around $35 a deer back in the mid 80's but I learned to do my own and have since then. It's amazingly easy to skin and bone a deer out. I just think of it as part of the hunt.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like some of you are getting a pretty good price. It runs around $90 here for a regular cut with nothing extra. That's why I've done all of my own deer since the mid 80's.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

the place i was going to take mine is 75 70 if i skin it but that is bonein basicly just cut up into steaks there are some places that are cheaper and i think they debone it and grind some of it up
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

Bout 80 bucks in central Wisconsin. I havent paid for one in a while. Do your own, and the meat tastes so much better. IMO..
Old 10-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Between $75 and $90. I go to the $90 butcher, does a good job, doesn't cut through bones, vacuum seals all the meat.

-Rick C.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do most of it myself. Although i do take the trimmings to a butcher and have him make whatever. I would love to get myself a sausage maker or stuffer (Whatever they call them things) I have the meatgrinder i use for making burger.